Hi Addison. So, having installed those fonts, have you tried using them in Xterm? I'm not sure if Xterm allows you to change the font, I know ROXTerm does (Preferences > Edit Current Profile > General)

While googling, I found another font set called xfonts-dosemu. Perhaps that one will work better. I found a Debian package, unpackaged it and made a zip of the fonts. Hope that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xfonts-dosemu.zip (20.4 KB, 93 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to jgwong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey jgwong. Sorry for the late reply, it's hard for me to get online more than once a week.

Anyway, I think I've got it narrowed really down to what is needed, I just a little help to get me through the rest of the way.

I posted a request over in the Developers topic and I'm hoping to find a response on this.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Okay, all problems are solved! Joy!

If anyone is interested in having a kick butt Telnet set up that's capable of displaying IBM extended graphics, just post a reply and I'll see if I can't find the time to package everything on what I put together so you too can have the best experience while gaming old school style on the net.

Cheers!

For future reference, can you elaborate on the solution for Google to index?

It was actually a simple fix, really.

I edited a font and added the extended graphics for it based on this table.
CP437

If anyone will ever Telnet someday and want IBM extended graphics, make sure you pick this font up since you won't find it anywhere else on the net. I used FontLab Studio in case someone might be interested on how it was done.

Then I edited this file after installing the konwert debs found in the first post:
/usr/share/konwert/aux/charsets/cp437

and added this one line
<5> ♣

The rest is pretty much fluff, including installing Qwerty's border fix for Xterm found here:
Border Fix

Along with using one of my custom keyboards found here:
Keyboard Collection

There's also a few other commands like removing the toolbar, removing the cursor, stopping the pop up hildon keyboard from showing up, extending the background lighting while idle, and setting the dimensions of Xterm, but since most could care less, I'm happy to leave the rest of this thread as is.

EDIT:
Oh crappers, forgot to mention probably the most important find in all of this.

Before I was using the command:
telnet [telnet address] | konwert cp437-utf8
Which is super buggy and crashes to pieces without notice.

Now I use this instead:
filterm ascii-ascii cp437-utf8 telnet [telnet address]

It's super fast and never once has it crashed on me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cp437.zip (615 Bytes, 72 views)
File Type: zip VeraMono CP437.zip (55.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Addison; 2009-02-12 at 06:57.