Active Topics

With all the discussion about the N770 I have yet to hear anybody mention how to print a document from the N770 and what about printer sharing with a network printer? I need to be able to print- screens, docs, PDFs etc.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ NH USA
I copied the statement below from the Nokia 770 FAQ. Someone else mentioned screen dumps are not possible. Perhaps some of the other members in posession of the 770 can help.

Currently Nokia 770 Internet Tablet does not support USB keyboards, USB printing or use of web-cams.

Source: Nokia

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
I have one !
You can't (yet)...
However maybe true bluetooth, but I don't have a bluetooth printer.
Testing now a bluetooth apple keyboard. Let you know

The device does not natively support printing. I'm sure the demand for such a feature will be high enough for someone to write a program to do it (probably via bluetooth).

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
Keyboard does not work, i get a "failed to connect" message after instailling a plug in

Hey!
I use Frogpad Bluetooth Keyboard, it works great! No problem!

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
If you use the 770 as a remote X terminal and are using it to serve up a display on a client application residing somewhere on the network then you have the full capabilities of the network resources, including printing, available to you.

As long as you all keep thinking of the 770 as an island you will be limited to what you can do on the island. As soon as you begin thinking of the 770 as a network device and how to use the power of all the devices on the network then you will be able to make use of all of the devices, applications, storage and versatility of the network itself, LAN and WAN.

The 770 by itself is going to continually frustrate you until you understand its role in network computing, primarily as a wireless remote display with rich user input, exceptional resolution and advanced discovery. Do yourselves and everyone a favor by thinking of the 770 less as a device and more of a state-of-the-art network display and input device. Think of it for the access to the network that it provides to you.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Amen Remote User. Very well stated.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ australia
Remote User, I keep hearing you talk about this ability and you are getting my hopes up so, can you explain how to setup the 770 to use it as a remote X login unit. Is it possible yet?

I am in Australia and i got my sister to order it in the UK but missed the first run so I have to wait till "late November" plus the shipping time to Australia. Cant wait!!

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by meshsmooth
Remote User, I keep hearing you talk about this ability and you are getting my hopes up so, can you explain how to setup the 770 to use it as a remote X login unit. Is it possible yet? I am in Australia and i got my sister to order it in the UK but missed the first run so I have to wait till "late November" plus the shipping time to Australia. Cant wait!!
First let me mention that you have an individual in Australia by the name of John Nicholls in Brisbane who is getting set to bring a very similar product to the market. His web site is thinlinx.com.

OK, now, the graphics and user input on the 770 are based, at the lowest level, on X. It's a layer as important as Linux itself. X was originally designed to make it possible for people to have access to computers without having to be in the room where the computer is. Such a display is a terminal. It isn't dumb - it's as smart as the apps it's connected to and the networks it's using. X allows your display to connect to the computer over the network, LAN or WAN. You are requesting that the application that's remote to you serve you up a display and allow you input. It does that and, to the extent that your authorized, you 'own' that remote computer, its resources, its power and all your local device has to do is to stay connected, display the graphical window that's sent over the network to you, and accept your input, which in this case includes keyboard, mouse, touchscreen. Your 770 has plenty of power to do this job. The software component that makes this work is called the X Server because it serves up your display & input devices to you. X is also multi-headed. What you see on your display, and what you're interacting with, can be taking place on two or more computers (or computing grids) simultaneously. There is no requirement that any of those remote applications are even aware of each other. The tie-in between two or more remote computers on your display only exists in the way that the GUI represents them to you. You'll automatically be in a real time, collaborating work group with everyone else who has a window open on the same remote applications (client applications) that you do. The only catch to all of this is that the remote apps have to be written to allow for the fact that there are multiple users. There aren't enough apps written this way yet because most people, (99+%) have been using X as a way to produce a nice desktop, and not to develop applications that leverage the architecture of X. This feature of X is called 'network transparency'.

Without knowing where the apps are, and there aren't many, you are limited to merely opening a remote desktop window. That's not a bad start but it means that you will be opening windows on apps that were designed without 770 users in mind. To really make the 770 useful it's going to take an explosion in the development of application-specific GUIs and a mass migration of Linux tool developers to Linux application developers. I've been attempting this in my own way for a long time and until the 770 arrived I've never had a device available to me that had everything necessary to complement what I'm trying to do. I hope to be able to give you something concrete to grab ahold of in the next few weeks. I have to first get a 770 myself and do a little fine tuning. Sorry to be so vague but it's unavoidable.

Meanwhile, check out sites like this for help
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Remote-X-Apps.html