Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
With the larger RAMs, 2 SD slots, camera and FM radio, faster CPU and now 2008Os, the 770 has to be dirt cheap to be attractive. How low can one get a 770 nowaday? The last one I saw was $105 from Woot.com. And, the going $ for a N800 remains $228.99 from Buy.com. I am still looking for one N800 and a N810 for the next 6 month. I am holding my horse to see if the new N800 will come in a different outfit, softwarewise or hardwarewise. The 770 does NOT has the power on problem, I admit.

bun

Originally Posted by n770-u1 View Post
Did buy a N770 in December 2007. Did work fine 8 days. Got a WSOD last week.
Now in the Nokia repair pipeline...
I read in this forum that WSOD could happen again. Is that true?
If they replace the unit, as opposed to repairing it, then yes. If you've had it less than a month I'd be tempted to push for a refund from the dealer and invest in a discounted N800, which is a much safer bet all round, particularly as it runs the latest OS and apps.

Well I'm annoyed. My 770 is bricked by the WSOD. I've only had the thing for 2 weeks, too.

I'm going to ship it off to Nokia to fix but I've heard some frightening things about their turn around times. Is it still taking them 6 weeks to fix the LCD problem? If that's the case I'm going to be raving irritated by the time I get it back.

Tomorrow is my birthday, too, and my husband gave me copious amounts of money to play with on fictionwise. So much for e-book shopping. Plus when I get it back I will have to reinstall Garnet VM and all the maemo stuff like Xterm I've spent the last two weeks getting arranged to my satisfaction. Phooey.

Originally Posted by arlene681 View Post
Well I'm annoyed. My 770 is bricked by the WSOD. I've only had the thing for 2 weeks, too.

I'm going to ship it off to Nokia to fix but I've heard some frightening things about their turn around times. Is it still taking them 6 weeks to fix the LCD problem? If that's the case I'm going to be raving irritated by the time I get it back.

Tomorrow is my birthday, too, and my husband gave me copious amounts of money to play with on fictionwise. So much for e-book shopping. Plus when I get it back I will have to reinstall Garnet VM and all the maemo stuff like Xterm I've spent the last two weeks getting arranged to my satisfaction. Phooey.

The turn around time for my 770 was a little under three weeks from the day I sent it in to Nokia for repair. They replaced it with a new unit instead of repairing it which was fine by me.

My 770, which I've had since the Woot last summer, just went south today. While it otherwise appears to be working, the screen colors are smeared, something like a VERY badly tuned analog TV broadcast which makes some screens nearly impossible to read.

Reflashed, pulled the battery and waited -- tried the usual stuff -- but it's still messed up. Sigh.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by arlene681 View Post
Two weeks - aren't you covered by the retailer? Take it back and get a new one, or a refund (put it towards an N800!)

Seriously, something which fails in the first two weeks should be replaced by the retailer or refunded in full (at least that's how it works in the UK - statutory consumer rights).

Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
The turn around time for my 770 was a little under three weeks from the day I sent it in to Nokia for repair. They replaced it with a new unit instead of repairing it which was fine by me.

I just sent and they received it, now they said they are waiting for parts to repair. Hope they will send me a new one. I love my 770, smaller than N800 and N810. And I like the hard case. It does what I need and more. When they sent you a new one, did they send you a full new box with everything? I hope they will send me a new battery, I still have the old battery with me. An extra one would be nice for a long trip.
Here is the status from Nokia:

Repair History:

Status Date Status
01/04/2008 Awaiting Parts
01/03/2008 Received
12/25/2007 Pending Receipt by the Repair Center

This information is provided as a courtesy. The online information reflects the latest status update provided by the repair center for customers and is the same information available to the Nokia Care Contact Center.

Originally Posted by racky View Post
When they sent you a new one, did they send you a full new box with everything? I hope they will send me a new battery, I still have the old battery with me. An extra one would be nice for a long trip.
Mine sat for a week with "Awaiting Parts" before they issued a replacement. The replacement wasn't a full retail package, just the 770 with a new stylus, battery cover & hard cover. No new battery unfortunately, that would have been nice. I highly doubt they'll repair your 770, it seems easier for them to just replace it.

I had reflashed OS2006 in October with success. Since I'm into repeatability, i saved a script at the time with exactly what i'd done.

In the mean time four things have happened. First, i got a 2 GB Kingston MMC card. It is very slow to write to it, and sometimes it even fails. Also, a new kernel patch came out which is supposed to fix corruption which is supposed to happen sometimes while connect to WiFi. I never experienced this issue. Then, the repository on my unit became corrupted, and i could not install new applications. I had not broken root, and it seems that you need to break root before you install much else, so it looked to me that i'd have to start from scratch to get root, which i'd need to fix my broken repository anyway.

So, i reflashed, using my script. On reboot, the screen has become mostly white, though you can kind of make out outlines of NOKIA, and even the hands bit. The chime sounds as in a normal boot, and there is a ghost outline of the final booted setup. However, i can't read anything, and you need to see what you are doing to get anything into it. I've since tried a variety of reflashes, under the idea that it can't hurt. But it appears to be dead, and i'll have to send it back. It was an accident waiting to happen. I'd been putting off reflash, but could no longer make progress without it.

Have i described the typical WSOD?

As an aside, i'd been evaluating languages, python, guile, and C with an eye towards development on the unit. I'd come up with several candidate projects, all of which would eventually require root. I'd really like to have the unit 1) have a fast driver for the 2 GB Kingston (or get a 1 GB Sandisk for it), 2) have a swap file or swap partition on the card, 3) have an ext3 filesystem on the card, 4) have a relaible backup system that copies everything over WiFi to my Linux host, 5) have a database, like Mysql or Postgres with backup, import and export tools, so that i can write 6) a calendar program that can wake up the unit and beep.

Originally Posted by suitti View Post
...Have i described the typical WSOD?

As an aside, i'd been evaluating languages, python, guile, and C with an eye towards development on the unit. I'd come up with several candidate projects, all of which would eventually require root. I'd really like to have the unit 1) have a fast driver for the 2 GB Kingston (or get a 1 GB Sandisk for it), 2) have a swap file or swap partition on the card, 3) have an ext3 filesystem on the card, 4) have a relaible backup system that copies everything over WiFi to my Linux host, 5) have a database, like Mysql or Postgres with backup, import and export tools, so that i can write 6) a calendar program that can wake up the unit and beep.
Sorry to hear about your WSOD. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to mine. I try not to power it off unless absolutely necessary, and just let it go into sleep mode when I'm not using it. I got it brand new off eBay, and I'm 95% sure I'll have trouble getting the warranty honored in Canada. :-(

When you get your tablet repaired/replaced, I would strongly recommend you install the Wi-Fi fix from an MMC card before you enable the Wi-Fi connection. I also strongly suggest installing the high-speed MMC kernel patch by fanoush that hugely improves the stability and speed when reading/writing to the memory card. I noticed a great performance improvement when I enabled the 64MB swap file on the MMC card after applying fanoush's kernel patch.