I think at about 9:28 he mentions a "break" between Maemo 5 and Maemo 6 related to Qt. hmmmm perhaps I heard him wrong..

http://www.maemo-guru.com/2009/09/vi...dr-ari-jaaksi/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
I think at about 9:28 he mentions a "break" between Maemo 5 and Maemo 6 related to Qt. hmmmm perhaps I heard him wrong..

http://www.maemo-guru.com/2009/09/vi...dr-ari-jaaksi/
Well it kinda makes sense, since the UI in Harmattan will be based on Qt and not GTK+ as is in Fremantle. It doesn't mean however that you won't be able to port old GTK+ libs from Fremantle to Harmattan and use existing GTK+ applications.
The reason Nokia is doing this is because they're trying to unify the development process on different software platforms they now have.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nowave7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
If you see the entire video he says that QT will be supported soon and then developers can start developing with QT and continue on to the next release. But why i am confused is that we already have some apps with QT for example digiascene afaik is AT based. Ofcourse i do not know anything about developing so i may be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Is it just me or does it seem that there seems to be a corporate policy in Nokia to play down the N900, and be as cagey as possible about it? It's almost as if they've been told, "You can praise the N900, but don't get too excited and don't praise it too highly."

The keynotes really spent only the most minimal time on the device, and Anssi Vanjoki actually seemed to almost insult it... Extremely weird!

For example, Jaaksi purposely lets a great opportunity slide past right near the beginning. The interviewer praises the N900, and Jaaksi replies, "I'm glad you like it. (pause) I like it too." And then he moves on.

It appears that I'm not the only one noticing the strange underemphasis on Maemo and the N900. As I was writing this, I googled, "Nokia World N900" and this was my first hit: Did Nokia Underestimate How Good the N900 Really Is?

Nokia N900 Maemo 5 handset was by far the most impressive device launched at Nokia World 09.

It has blown away anyone who was lucky enough to lay hands on it. I am not talking only about Nokia fanboys who are ready to praise anything the company makes. I include skeptics, who are ready to point out every single flaw they find.

Seriously. With about a hundred devices around, and available to every tech writer in place, try finding anyone bashing Nokia N900. And then compare that to the coverage Nokia N97 and N97 Mini got. See what I mean?

This reception of Nokia N900, contrasts very sharply with the attitude displayed toward the device by every Nokia exec who was talking about it.

You would think that, having made such a superb device, they would be preaching from every corner and pulpit to make sure we notice.

Instead, Anssi Vanjoki has spent a whopping 3 minutes at the end of 62 minute opening keynote (including OPK presentation), talking about N900. Half of that time was spent talking about the beginnings of Maemo platform, Nokia 770 internet tablet, and how this is just step 4 in five step program (read: somewhat unfinished product)!

And it went downhill from there...

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Remember what I said about the N800's success surprising many in Nokia?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Is it just me or does it seem that there seems to be a corporate policy in Nokia to play down the N900, and be as cagey as possible about it? It's almost as if they've been told, "You can praise the N900, but don't get too excited and don't praise it too highly."

The keynotes really spent only the most minimal time on the device, and Anssi Vanjoki actually seemed to almost insult it... Extremely weird!

For example, Jaaksi purposely lets a great opportunity slide past right near the beginning. The interviewer praises the N900, and Jaaksi replies, "I'm glad you like it. (pause) I like it too." And then he moves on.

It appears that I'm not the only one noticing the strange underemphasis on Maemo and the N900. As I was writing this, I googled, "Nokia World N900" and this was my first hit: Did Nokia Underestimate How Good the N900 Really Is?
Probably warrants it own thread....

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just a quick follow up... When I said that Vanjoki insulted the N900, I meant when he called it "step 4 of 5".

And jandmdickerson, I'm sorry. You're right, that turned into a bit of a thread hijack. That's just what I was thinking as I watched that video with Jaaksi.

Last edited by qole; 2009-09-06 at 02:58.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland

Sorry I'll keep this off-topic still..

I watched that interview too, and mostly it sounded like he was just carefully trying not to play down Symbian. At one point near the beginning(maybe the one you're talking about) the interviewer went on about how crappy Symbian is and how great N900 is, and obviously a Nokia exec can't publicly give the impression that one of their major platforms is somehow inferior.

It's also pretty clear from that interview that Maemo is still much work in progress and hasn't reached feature parity with Symbian devices yet while the UI is miles ahead. These things are something former Symbian users notice and that might be one reason they're trying to be modest about it(In addition to the general Finnish mentality )

Then there was this Anssi Vanjoki incident. I saw the fourth step mention more as a hint of what's to come. NW as far as I understand is quite B2B in nature and future prospects are something businesses and the stock market(?) etc. care a lot about.

These are just my pseudo-analyst theories and I absolutely see why one would think Nokia underestimated the reception. It's completely possible it did.

It has also been speculated that the N900 was supposed to be announced at Nokia world but because of the leak they had to launch it a week before thus leading to less coverage in NW.(I can't assess if this is really plausible.)

Last edited by jsa; 2009-09-06 at 03:10. Reason: leak stuff

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
It's also pretty clear from that interview that Maemo is still much work in progress and hasn't reached feature parity with Symbian devices yet...
Not only from this interview. Just look at the facts. As a "phone", the N900 can't do much but voice calls and text messaging.

In one of Eldar's first statements about the N900 he wrote something like "... it won't be a hit because it misses certain features...". This is exactly it. It will attract people who fall for eye candy, but it needs at least feature parity with my 2 year old S60 phone until it should be considered the next big thing inside Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland

Couldn't help but recall this speculation from a while back:

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
After a little thought. The only way it (having voice and 3.5" screen) makes sense with the N97 so close in launch is if this is a transitional device. The reason could be that on super-high end phones (like the N97 is for Nokia) you can't experiment. If it sucks, it damages the whole generation devices and even the brand itself. Hence, make a shadow N97-with-maemo device and experiment with Maemo telephony in public. If this chimera device works out, the next Nseries generation can move to a Maemo derivate (which would be the final, fifth generation) without fear of user acceptance. This strategy is only valid is there IS another device in the queue, as Rover is not more a N810 replacement than the N97 is.

Ahh. Nothing like the smell of fresh speculation in the morning

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gtk+ v. qt war, maemo 5 v. maemo 6 war