Posts: 40 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Damn, I also got this bug on my DDP's device. Another nasty side-effect of it is that 'gst-video-thumbnailerd' process is constantly trying to read the file and battery is just eaten in hours.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
This is N900's video playback specification, directly copy and paste from Nokia's webpage:
Video sharing and playback

* Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263
* Video streaming: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263 in .avi, .mp4, .wmv, .asf and .3gp containers
* Video playback in landscape format
* TV out (PAL and NTSC) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable (CA-75U)
* UPnP via WLAN supported

Obviously that is a bloody lie. I can't seem to play my video files at all. I keep getting the following message:
Unable to play media.
Media format not supported.
I've tried two videos so far, both are avi. Anyway, here's a screen of my video file detail, too lazy to type it up seeing how I can't copy and paste.
http://img339.imageshack.us/i/bleachd.png/
http://img339.imageshack.us/i/maouimage.png/

The one with xvid codec works half the time, the other half it doesn't. When it does work, it lags like crazy, the video that is. Now, the one that uses the H.264, it doesn't work at all. Both files actually get the same error message.

Also, I've downloaded mplayer, I can't seem to find the icon for it anywhere. Anyone know how I can access it? And, is there anyway to add more codec to the N900? Or at least where I can find a player that can play both my files and MKV files?
From the images that you posted, the media player probably has a problem with the audio codec being mpga. I've actually never heard of that codec so it might be that.

mplayer works from xterminal. You have to find the directory to your video files then type: mplayer "your video" (without the quotes) there are some frontends to mplayer as well, you just have to search for them

Last edited by Happy0ne; 2009-12-18 at 04:35.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Happy0ne View Post
From the images that you posted, the media player probably has a problem with the audio codec being mpga. I've actually never heard of that codec so it might be that.
mpga stands for mpeg audio i trust, pretty much the oldest audio codec. anything should play it.

could the high frame rate of one of the videos be a problem? it was above 110 if i recall correctly -- pretty much impossible for humans to take advantage of...

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Connecticut
Mine played video fine when I got it. I played videos direct from the onboard memory, from a SD card and even streaming over my home network.

Now, barely a week later, I can't even play the "Nokia" or "9" movies that came with the device. Restarting has not helped. I have not tried running anything from the command line yet.

Is it possible that an app or something is causing a conflict?

(I still love it)

This is very annoying... I was hoping I could play all sorts of media once I get my N900 but appearently not.

I transferred a bunch of files (mp4 and avi) of all sorts, only a FEW work fine. Most of them are a bit laggy, video-wise (very annoying to watch), and the rest say Unable to play Media type not supported.

I'm mainly upset about the ones that play but lag a little bit because most of them are like that. I think a simple little codec or an add-on or something might easily fix this. Just hoping someone will figure something out

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bulgaria
hi
I have another problem - mplayer open main movie file and subtitles too. but - subtitles are in cyrilic lang (bulgarian) and I see unrecognizible characters. not in my lang. may mplayer doesnt support cyrilic sub files or system font is not cyr ? in other system menus I have no problem with cyrilic ?!?
pls help

I installed a .deb package a few days back, and now pretty much everything seems to play on my phone. Can share it in the forum once I am back home.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by sumit29 View Post
I installed a .deb package a few days back, and now pretty much everything seems to play on my phone. Can share it in the forum once I am back home.
yes plz. What .deb package?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
he is reffereing to the Decoders package i think

that '9' movie trialer was crystal clear....mp4 file.

Is there another thread for conversions? or optimum video settings?
Would be nice just to drag and drop 'any movie' into something and have it pop out a perfect mp4 (if thats the best) PC Suite / Ovi?

Can someone point me in the right direction?