Notices

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
I've just uploaded my first app to the devel repositories (first ever full application infact), Gig Finder.

It uses the gps and the last.fm event feed to find gigs within 10km of your current location.

Currently its very early on, it does a simple search and allows you to view more detailed info about the gig.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Garage: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/gigfinder/
Code: http://github.com/jmstaley/gigfinder

Oh and if anyone has any tips on getting the git repo working in garage that would be much appreciated

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SpandexBob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Stuttgart
i do like the idea, however i've got some issues with the positioning on the main screen.
on the next detail screen everything is fine again.

one enhancement came to my mind as i was trying to find the easiest way to put some events i wanted to remember from last.fm to my calendar (sync with google calendar etc.)

don't know anything about the calendar backend but maybe it's possible to add an entry with all the given details in the second screen to your calender (creating a ics file on the fly maybe?)

thanks for the app so far anyways

Cheers for the feedback.

I'm aware of the problem with the main view. If i'm right that only happens when there are less than 10 results. I need to change the way that is displays the results, its something I'm currently working on.

Thats a very cool idea, syncing with a calendar. I'm gonna put that on my todo list.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Nice idea!

Just because I'm curious (I am no coder at all):

How hard would it be to switch to another data provider, like eventful.com or myspace.com (if they have a public API for this at all, I don't know), or to simply use several ones at the same time? How modular is the code?

Cheers for the feedback.

Right at the moment the code isn't exactly brilliant, this is a rough first attempt at getting something up and running. In theory it should be pretty easy to use multiple sources. I just need to write some sort of parser to get all the data into a consistent format.

My original idea was to have multiple sources for gigs. Last.fm is the source I was familiar with so I started with that, I'll look into the sources you mentioned.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpandexBob For This Useful Post:
I've pushed up a new version this evening it should fix the problems with the UI.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpandexBob For This Useful Post:
Its taken me a while to get round to posting this but the first version of GigFinder is now in extras-testing. Any testing would be a great help.

There is also now a home page, blog and twitter account

Any feedback is welcome.