Originally Posted by davige View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood the use of MM. I thought that it could plan a route offline with a previously downloaded street map. How do I open a downloaded map for offline viewing in MM? Can I open the Google street maps that I downloaded on my PC with Winmapper and transferred to my N810?
No, Maemo Mapper cannot plan routes offline. The "downloaded maps" are really just JPEG and PNG images - they are merely pictures of the roads, they don't contain any information about the roads themseles (like direction, speed limits, etc.).

To open the map, just make sure the appropriate repository is selected, and using the menus, select View, Goto, either address or lat/lon. You can also pan the map manually. MM should open to the last known location, showing the last viewed map and route.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Maemo Mapper Version: 2.2-os2008

Downloaded google sat maps
- saved map data to MyDocs
- no warning about too little space free
- when out of space, 'processing maps' info box just stuck, no way to remove
+ Exited MM

Relinked to mmc1, redownloaded maps (google sat, 179 MB)
- Internet connection temporarily interrupted, download did not resume
+ Exited MM

Redownloaded maps (google sat, 179 MB) with partial map data downloaded
- Processing maps progress bad is moving, but i don't see a change to this yet
129079919 Apr 12 01:47 GSat.db

Suggestions

testing for free space before download?
write some state info so MM doesn't get confused by an aborted download.?

(edit)
- found the cache deb dir setting
- tried 'delete maps' and then 'download maps with overwrite' which yielded two info boxes overlapping. Only 'Processing maps' is visible and shows no progress-bar (indoors with no gpx fix)

Suggestions:

- allow map download without gps fix? (it's cold outside)

I'll give it another shot someday. Apt-get removing for now.

Cheers!

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-04-12 at 00:29.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Suggestions:

- allow map download without gps fix? (it's cold outside)
Map downloads are allowed without a GPS fix. I rarely have a GPS fix when I do bulk downloads. Not sure what the problem could have been, unless it was disk-space-related?

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
I almost never have a GPS fix when I download maps to my N800. I do get the 'processing maps' message stuck there sometimes, though. I have no idea why it does that. Occasionally I have to remove the battery to get everything working after MM hangs. I just accept it and move on.

I'm planning a trip and went to download all the maps for my route. Since it was more than 1GB of data, I sent them to /media/mmc1/Maps, where there is plenty of room. The download went OK, I can see the maps file and move around the screen.
When I tried setting up routes, I started getting error messages about "Failure to write to path database..." so I did some poking around. The maps originally went to ~/.maemo-mapper, and the only thing in that directory was a file called paths.db, so I copied it to my new Maps directory. That did no good.
I tried Googling around to learn something about the file structure maemo-mapper uses, but came up empty.

Can anyone give me some help? I need to know how to put the map files on the external SD card and still have routes work.

Thanks.

Walt

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by walts View Post
I'm planning a trip and went to download all the maps for my route. Since it was more than 1GB of data, I sent them to /media/mmc1/Maps, where there is plenty of room. The download went OK, I can see the maps file and move around the screen.
When I tried setting up routes, I started getting error messages about "Failure to write to path database..." so I did some poking around. The maps originally went to ~/.maemo-mapper, and the only thing in that directory was a file called paths.db, so I copied it to my new Maps directory. That did no good.
I tried Googling around to learn something about the file structure maemo-mapper uses, but came up empty.

Can anyone give me some help? I need to know how to put the map files on the external SD card and still have routes work.

Thanks.

Walt
My paths.db is where yours was (not in Maps) and my Maps directory is on mmc2, and everything works.

Does Cache DB in menu Maps>>Manage Repositories point to your db's on mmc1?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
My paths.db is where yours was (not in Maps) and my Maps directory is on mmc2, and everything works.

Does Cache DB in menu Maps>>Manage Repositories point to your db's on mmc1?
Yes, it points to the GStreet file that Google Streets downloaded. The route I saved is also in that directory.

The exact message is,
"Failed to write to path database, Tracks and routes may not be saved. SQL logic error or missing database"

This happens when I do a Route Open, and the saved route does appear on the map. It also happens on a Route Clear, and the route does disappear from the map.

Walt

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
The exact message is,
"Failed to write to path database, Tracks and routes may not be saved. SQL logic error or missing database"
I got the same problem this morning.
Any advices?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Not a direct response, but more a "for what it's worth" kind of thing...

I use Maemo Mapper quite a bit. I've found that:

- the stock version starts to have sluggish panning/redraw issues when the downloaded database gets large (2Gb-ish). Nutter wrote a version ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=16838 ) that saves the maps in files rather than a database format. I use this and I find it doesn't have issues with huge map caches. (edit) The latest MM update might have fixed the sluggish pan issues; I've not tried it.

- it's easy to cache huge numbers of map tiles and I've done this for pretty much anywhere I'm likely to go, in Japan and Canada.

- I never leave MM set to automatically download missing map tiles. I'm too cheap to pay for a data plan and I find the "looking for network" box that comes up rather annoying.

- I've found the VEstreet maps don't complain about bulk downloads and work well for Japan. Generally, I found that when downloading maps, it's best to keep the loads less than 200Mb at a shot, or it tends to start throwing errors. It takes a while (multiple overnight sessions) but when it's done, it's done.

- I only cache odd zoom levels (1,3,5,7, etc..) as when viewing, MM will double-up the lower level zoom on the even levels. This makes the writing actually readable. Yeah, old eyes.

- "Routing" on MM is generally not what anyone who has used a regular GPS would consider routing. Basically, it's a link that gets a website to make a "routing" track. Unless you have some roaming data plan, it's not going to do on-the-fly rerouting.

- the plug-in speech system was useless. When I had it running in the car, the announcer voice was set to something like "English as a second language kidnap victim with socks stuffed in mouth." I shut that off pretty fast. There may be something better now though, I've not looked.

- The track system is quite useful. I keep a number of tracks that go from/to places of interest. They can be loaded up (overlapping if desired) when needed. The tracks can be saved, downloaded, and imported into Google Earth. You can make tracks in Google Earth, translate them into gpx format via something like GPSbabel, and then upload them to the N810 and into MM when needed.

Coming from a GPS - hiking, biking, compile my own maps kind of use, I initially frowned on the "map tile" approach. But, 16GB of storage and a little time spent downloading pretty much solved that issue. I've found MM to be the most useful mapping app on the N810, at least for what I want.

Last edited by fixerdave; 2012-01-04 at 04:29. Reason: fixes and additions

The Following User Says Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post: