Active Topics

Has anyone gotten an ad blocking host file to work correctly in OS2008?

As a test example can anyone manage to get rid of the ad on the right hand side of http://reddit.com ?

Most of the time I'm surfing on a 2g gprs connection and excessive ads can really ruin it. I know I can turn off images but that's not a really effective solution for a lot of sites (Although reddit is fine I admit).

I'm just hoping someone ports adblock to the OS as soon as possible.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Privoxy...

Does that even work in 2008? Have you got more of an answer than one word? I'm sure there are people wanting to adblock who won't have a clue what you're talking about, where to get it from or how to configure it.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Like some people refuse to use the search functionality, I like short answers.

CLICK THIS!

If you're using MicroB there's also the Greasemonkey extension with the ad filter script.

I'll give that a try fpp. Thanks. Do you have a link to the ad filter script?

Still can't be bothered to use the Search function here, huh ?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=greasemonkey

No need to be insulting. When you tell someone to get an ad "filter" don't act shirty when they search and can't find it *because it's not called that*.

The funniest part is greasemonkey and filterset P are actually pretty useless for the real reason I needed ad blocking. On a low bandwidth connection actually having to download all the ads is the biggest problem and unfortunately any greasemonkey script built to hide ads does just that. Hide them from view. You still have to download them in the first place. Yes It'll help stop an ad ridden page from grinding the N800 to a halt but it's only a small consolation when it still takes an age to download the page in the first place.

I think what I'd like to see (Apart from a real adblock extension to microb) is something akin to how Opera Mini works on mobile phones where you can run through a special proxy that basically makes everything take less time to download. Opera Mini does this very well indeed on mobile phones and would make a nice (optional) addition to a handheld of this nature.

Interesting topic though and this adfilter script will come in handy but it's just not a complete enough solution sadly.

Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
Like some people refuse to use the search functionality, I like short answers.

CLICK THIS!
I do appologise for my temper. I intensely dislike the "Just search for it fool" attitude that a large segment of the OSS community tends to exhibit. I feel that it drives people away and that's not really a good thing.

However having said all that and installing privoxy I must say that's a very good recommendation. I was unsure about installing it to be honest. The last time I used it on a desktop PC I found it to be a bloated complicated mess. It's totally different on Maemo and seems to work very well indeed.

One final question before I turn tail and leave in embarrasment. Is there a config page for privoxy I can access? If I need to add more ad servers for example?

Cheers.