Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
VICaR v0.5-1 released to extras-devel. Here is the change log.

* Fixed the bug - Vicar daemon fails to load after reboot (thanks to pmudgal)
* Changes to DB open/close logic to avoid loading data from cache.
Upgraded and Vicar works out of the box now. :)

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Did a quick test with two different profiles and found an issue (well, not exactly an issue, but something to improve). Say I have two profiles:

Profile 1 for numbers starting with +48
Profile 2 for numbers starting with +486

The problem is that Profile 1 is picked for *all* numbers starting with +48, including those with +486. I think Vicar needs to do a bit more clever matching while choosing profiles.

Additionally, nice-to-haves include:
- ability to define more than one prefix, comma separated (ie. "+48,+49")
- wildcards support (ie. "+48*01")
- ability to define an "umbrella" profile which would be used to route all international calls not handled by other profiles

The Following User Says Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
after the update 0.5-1 and a reboot its working with charm.
Except from the error Unable to update.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to drangina For This Useful Post:
Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Originally Posted by evad View Post
- ability to define more than one prefix, comma separated (ie. "+48,+49")
This one is tricky, I have figured out the logic for everything else except this one. Just curious, with wild card support and a default/umbrella profile would you still use comma-separated country codes?

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
This one is tricky, I have figured out the logic for everything else except this one. Just curious, with wild card support and a default/umbrella profile would you still use comma-separated country codes?
Well, to be honest - I would personally probably stick with just one, max two profiles for myself. I was thinking of these options as a way to extend Vicar functionality even further and make it more flexible, not necessarily that I specifically need these features right here and now. :)

Last edited by evad; 2010-09-07 at 16:01. Reason: Hate these bloody smileys

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
I am unable to install vicar.
Code:
apt-get install vicar
gives me
Code:
Opening database at  "/home/user/vicar.db.sqlite"
VICaR profiles database opened.
Creating VICaR profiles table..
Failed to open connection to "session" message bus: (null)
dpkg: error processing vicar (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 vicar
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Code:
apt-get purge vicar
prior to install does not help.
After install I see the binaries, so I tried
Code:
run-standalone.sh /opt/vicar/vicar-config
but I the config utility was unable to save any profile.

Then I tried without the run-standalone bit and I was able to save a profile.
After that apt-get install vicar seems to have moved forward a bit, but I am still unsure if vicar is installed correctly because apt-get still threw errors at me.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I tried to set up vicar today to use the Dial-a-code service (dialacode.com) , which is basically a paperless pre-paid calling card alike scheme linked to special operator assigned numbers. Setting up a profile was simple, only one rule, numbers starts with "+324", calling card number "290333", format "00<...". Prefix I left empty as recommended.

When using vicar to call the Belgium mobile number, I had a flash of a message on-screen saying "this contact's application does not support this call" but the phone still calls the 290333 number and I hear the dial-a-code 'welcome' message. So it seems the DTMF tones were not send. I also tried entering a 'p' in the prefix field but no joy. Same behaviour.

Anyone seen this before ?

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
When using vicar to call the Belgium mobile number, I had a flash of a message on-screen saying "this contact's application does not support this call" but the phone still calls the 290333 number and I hear the dial-a-code 'welcome' message. So it seems the DTMF tones were not send. I also tried entering a 'p' in the prefix field but no joy. Same behaviour.

Anyone seen this before ?
How about trying "pp" as prefix.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Hi there,

I like the application and use it too, great app, so thanks for the effort.

I want to ask for a clarification, With my previous phone (nokia 5800 a Symbian based phone) my network operator (3 Australia) would allow me free skype to skype calls without counting my data pack usage, this is something I am missing as I used just call friends and families for free and on the go. Basically, everytime I selected a skype contact to talk to it would dial out a local mobile number and then it would connect me to skype user (on their PC) on the other side, can use this app for same functionality?

Thanks

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
Hi there,

I like the application and use it too, great app, so thanks for the effort.

I want to ask for a clarification, With my previous phone (nokia 5800 a Symbian based phone) my network operator (3 Australia) would allow me free skype to skype calls without counting my data pack usage, this is something I am missing as I used just call friends and families for free and on the go. Basically, everytime I selected a skype contact to talk to it would dial out a local mobile number and then it would connect me to skype user (on their PC) on the other side, can use this app for same functionality?

Thanks
After submitting this post I realise that the dialing capability is built into Skype probably