Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The qa problem is maiinly due to low visibility of the testing queue. I have loads of apps from testing that I use regularly and I have tried to test but:

1. It is time consumimg to search for app in QA
2. I never know if I am voting for the right app version
3. There is no reminder in tmo which I visit regularly

One solution is to have link inside app directly to qa but this will be there even if the appmakes it to extras (except if it checks from where it was downloaded if possible, or dynamically through internet)

Another solution is to have a direct link or widget on tmo that shows apps who need votes, ordered by a function of number of downloads and inverse votes needed
I completely agree.
FYI I finished testing speedcrunch last week, nice app BTW only needs one vote.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
[...]
BTW I just installed maefat, and will vote after I use it for a week or so. Please give speedcrunch a shot if you have time. It's not perfect (ui not completely mobile optimized) but I think it's usable.
Thanks! I'll download and start testing speedcrunch tonight (US time).

Speedcrunch now promoted.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
1. It is time consumimg to search for app in QA
Yes, this is the problem for Maemo 5, the testing is hidden voting from the user (when installing softwares). Even some topics with softwares annoucements don't show how to review them.

When using MeeGo Harmattan, "Nokia Store" and "Apps For MeeGo" softwares shows "Review"/"Review this App". "Apps For MeeGo" even puts in the top the softwares already downloaded and not reviewed.

I've voted for MaeFat, now it has 6 votes and is unlocked to be promoted.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Speedcrunch now promoted.
Zoot - I guess I'm too late to do reciprocal testing then. Thanks again to everyone who tested and voted on my app in response to this thread. maeFat has now been promoted to Extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
nowdays I'm in favour of dropping the QA totally. I tried helping with it a while ago but the effort was wasted since there's not even nearly enough people willing to do testing. This simply requires too much effort per tester in the long with only a handful of people. Just having extras and devel would be imo enough. Let the dev decide when it's ready. Sure, we'd see a lot more buggy things in extras but we might actually see something updated/new there.

Sightly offtopic but that would solve the issue.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
[...]
When using MeeGo Harmattan, "Nokia Store" and "Apps For MeeGo" softwares shows "Review"/"Review this App". "Apps For MeeGo" even puts in the top the softwares already downloaded and not reviewed.
[...]
Doesn't this approach run the risk of blurring the line between voting for an app that you like, and voting for an app that you've actually evaluated technically? If you lose that distinction, then malware apps can get into your public repository merely by upvotes from satisfied users who have voted thumbs up without checking for things like optification or potential security risks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Doesn't this approach run the risk of blurring the line between voting for an app that you like, and voting for an app that you've actually evaluated technically? If you lose that distinction, then malware apps can get into your public repository merely by upvotes from satisfied users who have voted thumbs up without checking for things like optification or potential security risks.
Yes, there is this risk.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Let the dev decide when it's ready. Sure, we'd see a lot more buggy things in extras but we might actually see something updated/new there.
Your not solving the problems your just moving them and making more issues for people who have no idea how to fix them.

What use is having more new/updates in extras if there not tested, your turning everybody into a beta tester.

I am sorry but, thanks to this thread two (potentially more) applications have gone stable. How can anybody say the system doesn't work.

I agree QA is not made easy for us but if we want to see more stable apps, this is a FOSS community and only working collectively will get them there.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
[...]
I am sorry but, thanks to this thread two (potentially more) applications have gone stable. How can anybody say the system doesn't work.
[...]
One nice feature of getting our apps into Extras is we get to see how many downloads they had when they were hanging around in the other repositories. Both of our apps have had well over 100,000 downloads. Even allowing for the fact that several versions may have been pushed into Extras-Devel, resulting in several downloads/user, if looks like both of these apps have at least been tried by thousands of end users.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post: