Ha - I had no idea that "kernel power" was just a package / patched kernel that you could install with apt-get... link
Just installed in on my spare N900 and no problem to use the Jessie image. Will re-read the specific part about Jessie in this thread - later this week or next week - and do some testing with it.

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Hi
This thread has become 323-pages strong, so please forgive me for asking here.

What is the latest, most up-to-date available image for Easy Debian? I seem to think latest should be based on Wheezy?

I will appreciate any help.

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@sicelo:
Unless I missed something in my absence, this is still the current status:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3178

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
What is the latest
We're lucky to have one Jessie image from Sulu that has some issues but at least works.
Jessie is the latest and will be supported until May 2018.
You can also pick one of the Wheezy images, but they will be supported until February 2016 and then become LTS until May 2018. Not sure if ARM support will be included in LTS support.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Thanks. Downloading. Quick question, do we still have the 'gconf2' limitation of the earlier images?

Originally Posted by t-b View Post
You can also pick one of the Wheezy images, but they will be supported until February 2016 and then become LTS until May 2018. Not sure if ARM support will be included in LTS support.
I wouldn't count on ARM LTS support.

Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Quick question, do we still have the 'gconf2' limitation of the earlier images?
Please elaborate! What is this gconf2 limitation about?

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Please elaborate! What is this gconf2 limitation about?
Maybe I had misunderstoood, but I recall we were not supposed to upgrade gconf2 in the chroot. Don't remember full details though.

Ah, ok. That wasn't really a problem. I don't remember the details, because I joined the N900 and Easy Debian comunity quite late, but it was essentially just a matter of doing a proper dist-upgrade to Squeeze.
It's not an issue with any of my images.

In the Wheezy images you can run upgrades as you would on a regular Debian system.

In the Jessie images it's gotten more complicated again, because I had to patch and recompile glibc to work with Maemo's old kernel. And it has to be done for every new glibc update.
In this post [1] I linked an archive with the latest glibc packages, but I just realized the link is down again. I'll re-upload it some time later this week.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3219

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Had an unrecoverable crash on my phone a few months ago and did not back up my data so lost everything including my Easy Debian install. Had to read through the thread again to search for the method to install the latest version. For later reference and to help my fellow noobs an overview of the steps I've used to install Easy Debian - Jessie and install Iceweasel.

Prerequisites : Up-to-date CSSU install (including extra-testing repo)

1. There is currently only 1 image from Sulu that will receive updates from Debian - so download that one. It will be supported until march 2018
http://qole.org/files/debian_jessie1sulu_armhf.img.lzma unpack it to the root of your SD card. After unpacking you should have a file called debian_jessie1sulu_armhf.img. Be sure to have at least 2.5 GB free space on the card.

2. The Jessie image used is a hard float image and power kernel needs to be installed to be able to use it.
Install "Linux kernel for power user" with the app manager.

3. Install "easy-deb-chroot" with the app manager (I also installed easy-chroot, not sure if that is needed)

4. Reboot the N900

5. Click on the Debian Chroot icon on the desktop - terminal opens with some text and it should end with "Everything set up, running chroot...."
In this environment you can install software and update the debian install.

6. The image has nano (text editor) available - nano is user friendly. You need it to change the default repository:
Type in the terminal (in the chroot environment!)
nano /etc/apt/resource.list
use one of the current active Debian Jessie mirrors.
this is mine:

###### Debian Main Repos
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib

save the file and exit nano

7. type in terminal (in the Debian chroot environment!) apt-get update

8. type in terminal (in the Debian chroot environment!) apt-get upgrade

I got an error message after doing this:
syntax error: unknown group 'crontab' in statoverride file

I solved this with 'groupadd crontab' and after that running 'apt-get upgrade' again.

This will take a while and after it is completed the process ends with the following message:

errors were encountered while processing:
dbus
dbus-x11
E: Sub-process /usr/bindpkg returned an error code (1)

9. type in terminal (in the Debian chroot environment!) apt-get install iceweasel

10. Now hopefully everything is ready to start browsing with an up-to-date version of iceweasel for Jessie
You can use the icon that is already created on the desktop - it takes a while to start and at first it looks likes it crashes.

It is slow, but it works. Hope this is helpful for anyone. There is a ton of additional info in this thread and on the wiki*

* http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
@t-b:
In case you haven't personalized your updated image with too much sensible data, it might be a good idea to upload it somewhere.

You may also want to check if glibc is outdated and vulnerable [1], as I had to patch it and therefore excluded it from further updates by Debian.
If you need an update please let me know!

[1] http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.or...b8u4_changelog

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze