Active Topics

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by J4ZZ View Post
sorry, but I cannot confirm that. No such *.item file here. But the problem still exists.
can you please `ls -al /etc/bootmenu.d/`?

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Sure but what for?

Btw... We already figured out that backupmenu.item needs to be moved out of bootmenu.d or at least be renamed for u-boot-update to work properly. So, that's not the issue.

N900 ~ $ make me a sandwich
-bash: no, make it yourself
N900 ~ $ sudo make me a sandwich
-bash: ok then...

Last edited by J4ZZ; 2012-05-02 at 08:31.

Originally Posted by J4ZZ View Post
Sure but what for?

Btw... We already figured out that backupmenu.item needs to be moved out of bootmenu.d or at least be renamed for u-boot-update to work properly. So, that's not the issue.
Oh, right.. haven't seen that. That was like 22 pages ago
Your u-boot menu looked exactly like mine when I had my problems, so I thought it was related.

Originally Posted by drucula View Post
Your u-boot menu looked exactly like mine when I had my problems, so I thought it was related.
Did you experienced the following issue too?

proper U-boot menu is now showing omap1-power50 and all the others, but after selecting default entry all I get is "Starting Kernel..."
and then the phone turns off

Yeah, it's not booting attached kernel (omap1) and it's not selecting power50 as default. bootmenu.item is symlinked to power50.item.
My guess is that updated dsp modules are causing the boot to fail.

I uninstalled DSP stuff but it's still the same.
Now I'm wondering why kernel images are loaded from /home/user/MyDocs/bootmenu.img.d when all kernel files are already in /boot

The Following User Says Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
on a wider scope it seems to have been a suboptimal decision to reuse this directory for different unrelated subsystems like fanoush's bootmenu and uBoot bootmenu.
Terribly confusing to everybody tying to understand what's the nature of uBoot and bootmenu, and obviously even confusing uBoot tools.

I'd at least have defined a dedicated /etc/uboot-bootmenu.d/ and symlinked it to /etc/bootmenu.d/ in case I really want to do this "one dir for all" approach. Now it's probably not exactly simple to fix all this.
Usual approach to fix: tools first check for existence of /etc/uboot-bootmenu.d and fall back to /etc/bootmenu.d/ if the former doesn't exist resp isn't readable (incl symlink to a readable real dir).
Item config file has same format as Fanoush bootmenu and is stored in same folder (Multiboot package has same format too, but in folder /etc/multiboot.d/)
(I boggled and frowned on this part when I first read it, now it turns out my intuitive reaction was obviously justified)
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-05-02 at 13:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ somerset
this is what i get when trying to unpack boot images from first post any help appreciated cheers in advance

Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs# tar -xf u-boot-images.tar.gz
tar: boot/zImage-2.6.28-omap1-fb: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: boot/zImage-2.6.28-omap1: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/30-Maemo5-2.6.28-omap1-fb.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/30-Maemo5-2.6.28-omap1.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/40-Nemo.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/50-NITDroid.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/60-Kubuntu.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs#

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
this is what i get when trying to unpack boot images from first post any help appreciated cheers in advance

tar: boot/zImage-2.6.28-omap1-fb: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: boot/zImage-2.6.28-omap1: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/30-Maemo5-2.6.28-omap1-fb.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/30-Maemo5-2.6.28-omap1.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/40-Nemo.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/50-NITDroid.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
tar: etc/bootmenu.d/60-Kubuntu.item: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 0: Operation not permitted
MyDocs is a VFAT partition, which does not support Unix file permissions. This means you can ignore those errors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post

Go to / and extract the archive there.
Code:
cd /
wget http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pali/u-boot/u-boot-images_2012.04-1.tar.gz
tar -xf u-boot-images_2012.04-1.tar.gz
And all is set up.

Last edited by J4ZZ; 2012-05-02 at 20:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot