Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Just a general chit-chat thread, like the N9: It's finally here! thread, but w/a better title.
Decided to start a new one, as we can't get the OP to rename the title of the other one.
Tis mainly for general banter about the latest news relating to N9/Maemo6x, & successors if any.
But also chit-chat about Nokia as-a-whole, latest news, & our interpretation of that against competitors.

To kick things off, here's my little thought/finding for the day...
I hope Nokia will continue to do stuff like this for the N9/N950
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/05/h...a-150-touchpad
Heck HP almost entirely dropped WebOS yet they're still doing stuff like this!?
Elop's always said Maemo6x still remains an important part of future work so um.

I know there's a commercial device program, but AFAIK it requires devs to fork-out much more $.
I believe it was free or much less for a time, it may still be for all I know,* but Nokia never disclosed the no's handed-out.
Then there's the puny 300 N950's that were handed-out for the community device program.
qgil mentioned he'd try to arrange something similar for the N9, once it became widely available.
Alas I haven't seen anything more about that from him...
More importantly it needs to be done for the commercial dev program, & on a much larger scale than 300-odd.
Similar to this WebOS initiative....

*so long as one could prove/satisfy all the requirements

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-11-15 at 17:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
More developers are certainly required for Meego-Harmattan. I've been monitoring and it seems like a couple of new apps a day. This is certainly not going to build up the app store in reasonable time. Of course we may see more apps coming in a torrent in Dec but somehow I don't think so. Why should developers all finish at the same time?

Very few commercial developers are interested except for Gameloft which has produced a couple of excellent games for N9. This is understandable as Elop has practically given Meego the death blow by announcing there will be no more Meego phones. He is also giving away 25,000 Lumia 800 phones free to developers. Unloved by its parents the N9 has to depend on the Meego community for its survival.

Sorry to keep driving on apps but a robust pool of apps is the key to N9's success as a mainstream phone. Otherwise it will suffer the fate of WebOs and Samsung's Bada. If N9 becomes widely successful Nokia may reconsider and produce another Meego phone.

I would like to urge developers to produce some mainstream apps first before going on to more specialized apps. I've detailed some in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79666

Remember, the future of Meego-Harmattan is in your hands, literally.

Last edited by SamGan; 2011-11-07 at 14:36.

While I'm not an app-centric person, I do agree, without commercial developers willing to support the N9, eg a constant stream of revenue to Nokia via the Store, we'll probably even get crappier support.

I don't blame them, with Elop's announcements of MeeGo/Maemo and the lack of Qt on Windows Phone, it was like a double-tap in the head for the N9.

With the artificial market restrictions placed on the N9, this will also hurt the demand and interest in the platform. I also doubt Elop will ever announce the sales figures for the device. We may get it out some other way, but meh, they'll never promote it as much as they should.

The only hope for the N9 is the failure of the Lumia line. Though that may do okay considering they're going to practically give away the phone or offer other Microsoft incentives... I though I read that somewhere they're going to give away an Xbox with the phone...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnyl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by jonnyl View Post

The only hope for the N9 is the failure of the Lumia line. Though that may do okay considering they're going to practically give away the phone or offer other Microsoft incentives... I though I read that somewhere they're going to give away an Xbox with the phone...
I would consider buying the Lumia if Nokia offered to give a N950 with the phone...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Title is very bad, I thought that someone plan to install water cooling in harmattan-powered device. So, for the first time, I wasted my time reading Harmatann'ish thread, and, wasted Your time, while you're reading this post.

So, please, rename thread to something non-confusing
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by jonnyl View Post

A windows 8 tablet for free along with Lumia???

Anyway the failure off the Lumia 800 and 710 is possible. I can tell you then when it was announced in Greece on the bigger technological/geek forum full of early adopters there were only like 20 posts and half of them noted that the phones sucked and from what I see on the internet it's the same thing world wide even if elop gives away 1 million of them thing is people don't like them

If Elop had kept his mouth shut instead of announcing that there will be no more Meego phone things would have gone much for smoothly for N9. But no, he had to open his big mouth just to ensure that N9 doesn't have a chance of big market success. Now just because of his big mouth every reviewer has pronounced Meego as a dead os and commercial developers are shying away.

Keeping N9 from being sold in major markets is a strategy of desperation. It's not as if consumers deprived of access to N9 are going to buy Lumia in droves.

A sale of N9 is still a sale for Nokia so why is Elop behaving like WP7 must succeed over N9? Only a Microsoft whore will think this way which of course he is.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Title is very bad, I thought that someone plan to install water cooling in harmattan-powered device.
So, for the first time, I wasted my time reading Harmatann'ish thread, and, wasted Your time, while you're reading this post.
So, please, rename thread to something non-confusing
Modified. Hopefully that meets your standards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Wow this whole scenario looks like dejavue. @_@.

I must remember to keep away from anything that has "N9" in it's title, since it apparently means not nice.

The original epic thread did get nasty at times, but it was often a good exchange of ideas/debate too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
depression, winding down