Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
I'm awaiting delivery of my new N800, and thought I'd do my homework on how to install the new updated software release using a Mac PowerBook G4. Yikes! Unlike the fairly straightforward options for Windows and Linux users, the Mac process seems to involve a lot of intimidating (to me) hacks and complicated steps. Here's the moderately scary-looking page Nokia sends Mac updaters to: http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...agewithmacosx/

So two things:
1) Does anybody have advice on the simplest, most reliable way to proceed, or should I just dig in and follow those nerve-wracking instructions (which seem oddly left over from the N770) ?

2) Second, I'll just throw out a general plea to Nokia and Maemo to show a bit more love to Mac users, and make things easier for non-power users like me.

Well you could always try an emulator. ;-)

The GUI flasher by bleb.org works fine on my Mac Pro, nice and simple too

http://www.bleb.org/software/770/

Ha! But seriously...

Unless you Mac folks out there can tear yourselves away from your iPhones for a sec and throw me a lifeline, I'm thinking the easiest solution is to borrow a friend's Windows machine and use the update wizard thingie. Which sounds temptingly easy and fast compared with the Mac options.

I borrowed a windows machine here at work. If i had an Intel Mac at home though I would try the emulator. Really.

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the link, Riddler. And I've been meaning to get Windows running on my better half's Intel MacBook, so perhaps I'll give that a try, and/or the iEmulator 1.7.9 for my Power PC machine.

I don't know if you're still thinking about trying to upgrade the N800 using a Mac, but I've done it twice now, following the "Nokia approved" (non-gui) method on the wiki, and it's worked fine. I've used both a desktop Powermac and an iBook G4, and just followed the instructions on the wiki carefully, and I've had no problems.

Last edited by khirano; 2007-07-23 at 16:47. Reason: added a bit more detail

Originally Posted by khirano View Post
I don't know if you're still thinking about trying to upgrade the N800 using a Mac, but I've done it twice now, following the "Nokia approved" (non-gui) method on the wiki, and it's worked fine. I've used both a desktop Powermac and an iBook G4, and just followed the instructions on the wiki carefully, and I've had no problems.
Interesting. I tried flashing my n800 from my iBook G4 and it didn't work. I shall have to try again.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

I've also re-flashed my N800 twice using the flasher-2.0.macosx application (from [1]). I may or may not have needed to run it as root, I can't remember. But it certainly does work.

--
[1] http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/d3.php

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by Ald View Post
I've also re-flashed my N800 twice using the flasher-2.0.macosx application (from [1]). I may or may not have needed to run it as root, I can't remember. But it certainly does work.

--
[1] http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/d3.php
Same here, on a N800 and a 770, using a G4 notebook.