Hi,
anyone know of a way to turn off the GSM radio?

This would be handy if for example one wanted to turn off the phone functionality of the N900 and still be able to use the internet at home for example through wifi.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Utrecht, the Netherlands
Same question here. I want to be able to turn off the phone radio when in my car (since it has a SIM card of it's own, you can only use one at a time), but still want to be able to listen to music by using the FM transmitter.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I think the only way to achieve this would be pulling out the SIM card.
There is offline mode for switching off the GSM, but this will also disable WiFi.

when booting the phone you can skip entering the ping, then the gsm radio will be off but wifi on iirc.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaxiKana For This Useful Post:
after i dropped some water on it, the gsm was disabled, but the wifi kept working.
though i am guessing that is not 'handy'

A temporary solution is If your carrier does not have 3G change the following setting:

Menu > Setting > Phone > Network Mode > 3G

I hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to n1110000100 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I think the only way to achieve this would be pulling out the SIM card.
There is offline mode for switching off the GSM, but this will also disable WiFi.
Actually i used my tablet for a day on WiFi before I got my SIM card so this is not a problem. As has been mentoned before just skip the PIN entry when starting the phone to disable the GSM radio.

BTW: the prototype firmware had the option to turn off the GSM radio temporarilly. The production units seem to just have an offline mode which turn off all radios.

I hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to touringhaggis For This Useful Post:
thanks for all the replies. I was hoping for a more handy way to to simply turn it off temporarily by changing a setting or entering a command.
I don't know what the pin on my sim is. is there a way to find out?

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by n1110000100 View Post
A temporary solution is If your carrier does not have 3G change the following setting:

Menu > Setting > Phone > Network Mode > 3G

I hope that helps.
But won't this just mean that the radio will still be on trying to search for 3G forever?

The Following User Says Thank You to hypnotik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
I was hoping for a more handy way to to simply turn it off temporarily by changing a setting or entering a command.
out?
It could be that there is such a hack, but I do not know enough about Maemo yet to answer this.

Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
I don't know what the pin on my sim is. is there a way to find out?
It could be that your SIM does not have a PIN. Some prepaid cards are like this. If this is not the case for you then you should ask your provider. They will need to check that you are you and someone has not stolen your SIM card.