Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Consider this: I was working from home the day I reported the good visibility.

I don't live in Dallas.

This is getting interesting now... My FIOS 1-year contract is expiring soon, and I'll make a guess that they jack up the price again... Last time I already looked alternatives, but stayed with FIOS. This time may be different.

If the WiMAX works good already in my area (DFW), I'm seriously considering this option... but would like to know more about real world performance (speed, latency, reliability). Texrat... how much you can tell about that? Maybe I need to borrow your N810W to check the signal strength at my home...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hey, Mara, email me at work. I can't answer your question publicly.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Can anyone who has received a retail device (mafranklin) give a quick review and answer some questions about the service geared towards existing N810 owners..

battery drain on xohm v wifi
indoor performance
use of SIP or skype over wimax
general browsing experience with regard to latency
attempt a video gchat over the service

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Good to hear that this is out now; unfortunately, I've got no need for another IT until the new OS comes. Nevertheless, if there's WiMax here in Charlotte, both my pastors would definitely be up for using it as a laptop replacement when out and about.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Can anyone who has received a retail device (mafranklin) give a quick review and answer some questions about the service geared towards existing N810 owners..

battery drain on xohm v wifi
indoor performance
use of SIP or skype over wimax
general browsing experience with regard to latency
attempt a video gchat over the service
I'd also like to know if you can set up the device to act as a Wifi access point, so that you can "tether" a laptop to the NIT and surf on the laptop via WiMAX.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
This is getting interesting now... My FIOS 1-year contract is expiring soon, and I'll make a guess that they jack up the price again... Last time I already looked alternatives, but stayed with FIOS. This time may be different.

If the WiMAX works good already in my area (DFW), I'm seriously considering this option... but would like to know more about real world performance (speed, latency, reliability). Texrat... how much you can tell about that? Maybe I need to borrow your N810W to check the signal strength at my home...
Someone did a VOIP test http://4gforums.com/thread6696.html using http://myspeed.visualware.com/voip/ for the Dallas Xohm but did not give the modem type.

Last edited by heavyt; 2008-10-16 at 00:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
Great, I am glad I read this today and it is available for order. I was about to buy an iTouch today, but instead, I just placed the order for my WM Edition.

For some reason, I thought this would be a big deal across the net when you could actually purchase this thing, but it seems its not, or not too many people know yet. Oh well... At least I have (ordered) mine!

BTW, I'm in Washington DC, from what I hear, WiMax is blazing here.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
The links heavyt posted show quite respectable download/upload speeds, on par with my FIOS 5/2 plan. Xohm web site show $35/month plan for home (first 6 months $25), so it is cheaper than my current FIOS plan. (Not sure if the speeds will start to drop once more users start to use the bandwidth?)

Anyone noticed that if you take the "Pick 2" plan you get discounted $50/month rate for life... not like the other plans that have 6 months teaser rates... In other words if you decide to switch your home internet to Xohm, you'll get unlimited data (and voice calls via VoIP) for second device (N810W) for only $15/month?

Anyone noticed that if you take the "Pick 2" plan you get discounted $50/month rate for life... not like the other plans that have 6 months teaser rates... In other words if you decide to switch your home internet to Xohm, you'll get unlimited data (and voice calls via VoIP) for second device (N810W) for only $15/month?
Sweet! I hope they don't ditch that before it gets rolled out here...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The links heavyt posted show quite respectable download/upload speeds, on par with my FIOS 5/2 plan. Xohm web site show $35/month plan for home (first 6 months $25), so it is cheaper than my current FIOS plan. (Not sure if the speeds will start to drop once more users start to use the bandwidth?)

The speeds will certainly drop on Xohm with more users, but I would think you would be good for at least 6 months. Long term, Xohm is not a substitute for FIOS, which can easily go up to 50 mbps.

I think the "Pick 2" plan is effectively for the life of your registered devices rather than your life (unless you can spoof MAC addresses!). Just as a business matter, it is only for the life of Xohm, which will most certainly cease to exist if and when Clearwire takes over. But still, if you have coverage, $50/month isn't a bad deal even if it's for as little as 6 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: