Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
If it makes no difference expense wise or battery wise (in a perfect world), you want a capacitive screen, makes a huge difference in terms of usability. You can't accomplish the same things on a resistive screen.
You want a capacitive screen other people may not.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cheetos316 View Post
Just because it ships with Android doesn't mean that another OS can't run on it right? Would it be possible to flash it to run something like Maemo?
No, unfortunately there are som binary only drivers (however, the N900/Maemo 5 is still probably the most open mass produced phone/OS).

If it makes no difference expense wise or battery wise (in a perfect world), you want a capacitive screen, makes a huge difference in terms of usability. You can't accomplish the same things on a resistive screen.
Thats is a technology myth that a capacitive screen makes a huge difference in usability. NO. It makes a huge different is registering your touch on the screen maybe, but that alone is not usability.

Usability also means registering touches when you WANT it to - hnce a slightly harder press which is comforting to many.

Usability is also about registering fine grained clicks like with a stylus.

Usability is also about handwriting recognition supporting screen.

and more ....

So FIRSTLY - get your definition of usability correct, then you can spout innanities about capacitive vs resistive.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
In a perfect world all phones would have optical touchscreens (or even better technologies; not resistive or capacitive anyway).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
In a perfect world all phones would have optical touchscreens (or even better technologies; not resistive or capacitive anyway).
Psh. In a perfect world all phones would read my thought commands.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Maemo/Mer on Dell

sends a shudder through me, but why not?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Bronx, New York
Well if this is a Dell hardware design they could take it and shrink it down... I find it simpering and attractive... The load time is kinda horrendous... I would think it's running the latest cortex a8 or similar.. Too boot that long is questionable... It would be a god work desk device if the immediate Internet is not at your disposal but it's too big to be a real everyday device... N900 of the same lenght bit with the streaks thickness would be boss... Future iterations I am sure will have such qualites it's just a matter of patients... Dell streak is a sexy piece hardware though... I like gadgets!

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Usability also means registering touches when you WANT it to - hnce a slightly harder press which is comforting to many.
Registering touch = slightly harder press != usability

If I'm off on the definition of usability, you're 180° off.

The Following User Says Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
It looks like the arcos 5, but perhaps its the build or look of the next maemo device ( which is what I believe is what the person that started the thread may have meant ) since a lot of ppl want a non-keyboard device ( for those who love the n800 as apposed to the n810) I am one of those ppl who just need a physical keyboard... its a great looking piece of hard ware though despite negative commentary.

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-10-21 at 18:18.

My reaction: the screen is too damn big. It might be nice for those who want a tablet, but as a phone it is fricking huge.

The N900 is probably at the limit of how big I want to go with such a device.

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?