Notices

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Firstly, mods, feel free to change the title to something less flame-bait-ish if you like.

Obviously the amount of applications on Maemo compares in comparison to the amount of those on either Android or Iphone, and it has already been argued that Maemo potentially produces higher-quality apps, but that's not what this post is about.

The question is quite simply: When a user asks the community (i.e., not software development companies) to create an app to fill a void, are either of those communities as receptive as ours?

More than once I've seen someone complain about lack of support for a given feature on Maemo (the N900 specifically) when some humble user spring into action like Superman and fill a void that would have otherwise remained empty indefinately or remained empty for no measurable amount of time. Prime examples include FMMS, VertSMS, CallBlocker, and recently this script that allegedly allows you to set ringtones for caller groups.*

Is the ecosystem of Android/IPhone comparible, or are users more prone to just wait around updating their stores periodically until a suitable application comes around?

*There are countless more options, but these seem to be the most prominent examples. There have also been ports or apps that provide functionality for niche markets that have sprung into existance out of simple requests.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Is there something like "Android Community" or "iPhone Community"?

I know android has something...the name isn't blatently obvious though...googling...

[edit]
found it

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-05-19 at 09:46.

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Is there something like "Android Community" or "iPhone Community"?
are there poor catalogs and sofware restrictions like the n900 has? i dont think so.... 6 mounths later and still waiting 4

videocall
javame (decent)
hard reset and more not considering the low manufacture of this n900 my god!!! i payd to much to have rootfs full off memory, and 32 g for documents and mp3 buaahahahahahah.... i ll trash away my nokia and i ll buy one android phone.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by santiago View Post
i ll trash away my nokia and i ll buy one android phone.
What's stopping you?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
What's stopping you?
i m waiting new android phones... keep quite that nothing is stopping me...

** sigh **

I should have known nothing constructive could have come of this. I'm down-voting my damned self.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
I know android has something...the name isn't blatently obvious though...googling...

[edit]
found it
Are you being serious?
xda referred to O2 XDA, one of htc's first creation which was an OEM order from O2. It ran WinMo...

They have a productive developers community, but it's not by any mean specific for android or originated thru android ties...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

ysss: however, a lot of people at work swear by the site who run android phones. I never said it was official; I also happen to know how to read:

"...the largest Internet community of smartphone enthusiasts and developers for the Android and Windows Mobile platforms. "

Note to self: Be very careful of words, because there are those who are bound to be pedantic.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
http://developer.android.com/community/index.html

I think there is no need to compare, we have a long way to go IMHO to beat the giants no doubt about that, and those who downplay them are plain stupid naive IMO , but at the end of the day the spirit is what matters in a community , as long as you enjoy staying here, enjoy using/developing for the platform, its all worth it !
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-05-19 at 10:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post: