By the way, I also had modified the files '/etc/dnsmasq.conf' and '/etc/network/interfaces' as instructed in Kate Alhola's blog at: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ka...rum-nokia-blog

- oldskool

In order to use the browser, you need to do the gconftool step (as shown in the script) to set the default IAP to DUMMY. Then, you select "DEFAULT" as the connection type in the wireless connection widget. That shuts down the wireless interface and allows the browser to access the net via the USB adapter.

Finally, I found a pre-wired micro USB On-The-Go (OTG) cable on Amazon Marketplace (from Bright Light Business) that works fine. However it is pretty long (3 meters). The cable is: Cables Unlimited 3 Meter USB Micro A Cable with Ferrites (USB126003M)

So far, the N810 seems to be working fine on battery power with the TRENDNET adapter.

Last edited by oldskool; 2008-03-07 at 08:34.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
I just wanted to add to the thread that I purchased the Linksys USB100M adapter and this worked great with Kate Aloha's instructions and Kontorri's USB Control Utility. I just use the USB Control Utility to switch to host mode, open terminal and type ifup eth0 as root. When I open the web browser the DUMMY access point is connected and it all works flawlessly! Good times.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Sorry I forgot to post this here earlier got so caught up with other threads and things:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008
I created a Wiki Entry for this topic. The entry describes how to use the package that I threw together based on the information and resources everyone had in this thread to get things up and going for your "plug and play" audience.
Download the package and install it. It sets the tablet up to autoload all of the supported USB networking modules on boot, and establishes some udev rules so that when you plug in a rtl-based adapter the DUMMY/WIRED account will dynamically be created, if up will be called, and things will just work; when you're done and you remove the adapter the dummy account goes away again and the wifi will operate normally. There's a slight glitch on the removal in that if you take the tablet out of host mode without unplugging the adapter first it may not work properly, but I'm working on fixing that one.

Thanks,
-Rob

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Boston, MA
The guide says:

"For devices other than those based on the RTL8150 you'll manually need to call "usbEthUp.sh" after you connect your device, and "usbEthDown.sh" after you remove it to get the network settings in place."

Where are these scripts? Do they come with the USBLan deb?

noob here..be gentle..

I got my usb A FtF OTG adapter working, got a linksys USB100M.

USB control sees the adapter, and I've been able to get the DEFAULT/DUMMY iface conf'ed (when I open browser the DEFAULT option is there and I'm able to select it)

but alas..no page will load.

I have a feeling I'm missing something..like dhcp for iface(s)..or dns setting or something?

Thanks in advance smart people..

P.S. I'm pretty sure my usb A FtF is fine..it sees my sandisk USB drive fine..mounts it, files accessable..etc.

Last edited by acevid; 2008-03-19 at 21:43.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by acevid View Post
noob here..be gentle..
I'm not a noob, but I was ALSO having problems until I followed this USB Networking blog post. The instructions there also apply to usb/ethernet setup. Just follow along until you get to the part about "insmod .../g_ether.ko ; ifup usb0" and replace with "insmod your_ethernet_chipset_driver.ko ; ifup eth0".

For me, I first select the DEFAULT network, type "sudo insmod pegasus.ko", plug in the USB Ethernet dongle (plugged into a mini-USB OTG adapter), plug in the ethernet cable, then do "sudo ifup eth0". I do "sudo ifdown eth0" before I unplug everything. Hope that helps.

I really appreciate the reply..maybe I'm thick headed...but i can't for the life of me understand kate's blog entry..and I'm sure it's the fact that I'm a novice...I didn't think you needed a seprate server running ubuntu..??? if I read all the way thru the entry, it references just that--and the dhcp vs static stuff is clear as mud to me...

I want to use dhcp...but the instructions reference using static config..?

sorry in advance for the whine

K <crying B*TCH mode=off)

Heh, per usual...RTFM saves the day. I went back and read..and read..and thought, and read..then tried it..and it works...amazing how RTFM'ing will get you thru...

Originally Posted by acevid View Post
I really appreciate the reply..maybe I'm thick headed...but i can't for the life of me understand kate's blog entry..and I'm sure it's the fact that I'm a novice...I didn't think you needed a seprate server running ubuntu..??? if I read all the way thru the entry, it references just that--and the dhcp vs static stuff is clear as mud to me...

I want to use dhcp...but the instructions reference using static config..?

sorry in advance for the whine

The Following User Says Thank You to acevid For This Useful Post:
I found an old Kawasaki USB Ethernet Adapter in my computer crate and followed the instructions in the Wiki-Article. I switch to USB-Host-mode and turn the Ethernet up by osso-statusbar-cpu and Mara's scripts. Now I can go online and surf (mailnotify and pidgin can also connect), but the builtin email application and the oweather applet can't connect to the internet (with wifi they can). Can anyone verify this behaviour or have an idea why this is happening?

regards Nighthawk