Notices

Poll: Have you had this issue ?
Poll Options
Have you had this issue ?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Okey. uptime 3 days, no widgets and suddenly after new email popup system just hangs but browser window which is open works. Basically hildon-desktop is not responding. After ~2minutes it calms down and i check with htop processes and see all the other processes using mem/cpu quite normal but voicehost is taking constantly 5% of cpu. Could not find here/bugzilla anything about that.

Why don't we have simple debug tools and good guides for using them. Large userbase and only handful of users are able to use them and probably those who are able have much much more important things to do :|
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=49

yes i also faced the same issue. initially i thought its coz of some widget but now i hardly use any widget except short cuts. still after 2-3 days i get same hildon-home not responding issue. wonder if they going to debug this in next firmware.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
hmmm. Looks like Eero Tamminen has added some more info about tools to http://wiki.maemo.org/Bugs:Stock_answers#Memory_issues
So thanks for those tips!

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by vijayv View Post
The lack of responsiveness is acutely felt when an new message or a call alert comes.. tapping on them over and over again does not cause any affect...

The thread seems to be moving in a direction in which we are looking at all possible slow downs. The issue I reported is a very specific one. whenever such a slow down occurs use Htop or Conky to look at the process, Hildon-Home will be consuming between 85 to 96% and close to 50% ram. This is the basic characteristic of the scenario.
I have noticed similar behaviour, but have a theory for the cause that's quite different than the widgets theory that appears to the main line of thought with this thread. I think it may be related to processes that haven't exited smoothly, and are still hanging around in a partially exited state. The underlying idea is that hildon-home is a manager of tasks, and when a process gets into a "___ is not responding" state, hildon-home is distracted by this and slows down.

Sorry for the wooliness of the above. The idea occurred to me, but I've not yet put the detailed thought into how to track this down if the idea is right...
http://www.eff.org.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Im hearing some good stuff here guys. don't forget to post it on the bug report or it wont get fixed.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723

I've started getting this too. It came up with a error saying Hildon-Home wasn't resonding or something and I chose the option to close it. It restarted Hildon-Home, and some of my widgets have gone like ForecaWeather, the desktop script execution, data plan monitor and desktop search, so I'll leave it how it is and see how it goes!

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
with nokia guys helping me (at bugtracker) to figure out what it was we came to python again and it was the recaller widget eating ram after 2-5days about.

Please dont do python widgets. Programs you open and close ok but all-time desktop widgets written in python wont do good as long as python doesnt even free ram if asked for it in code... (known issue)

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
I guess we are talking about the same thing here.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=660565

Maybe we should merge the two threads?

Cheers
Bjoern

It happened to me when I move my huge dictionary (~1G) to N900

together with the huge CPU usage of hildon-thumbnail(36%cpu)

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Michigan, USA
I've noticed this issue ever since I installed PR1.2. I'll be doing a few things as always, checking email, texting, playing in Facebrick or Witter, and in MicroB browsing, and I'd get a text message or an email notification, so I'd go to clear it, or open it, and nothing would happen, I'd tap either the notification or the "x" to close it, and it would act as if I did nothing, but if I clicked on one of my other apps that doesn't have a notification and my phone would respond normally, so would going back to the homescreens and switching between them, full responsiveness as if nothing was happening.

I figured it might have had to do with Witter's new notification since that was installed at roughly the same time I installed PR1.2 and saw the issue. So, I quit using Witter to see if the issue changes, but it does not. It's still an issue.

I notice also, if I click the notification or the "x" on the notification multiple times, the "close non-responsive application hildon-home" alert will popup. If I click no, and wait for a bit, eventually things will go back to normal and the notification action will be taken.

This was a fresh reflash of PR1.2, I don't do OTA firmware upgrades to my phone.

Thoughts?