Notices

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Looks like Alpha 1 is out!!

http://people.mozilla.com/~pavlov/fennec/hourly/

Testing now, VERY NICE....

Ok, major problems:

The navigation and TAB interface are nice, but poorly implemented. It becomes hard to move a page because they keep popping out. This has to be optimized for only a "hard pull." It also slows down the device to a crawl, and takes 30 seconds to start up.

Good for a Alpha release I'd say...

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2008-10-16 at 00:22.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Still slow, and the strange interface is very annoying and hard to navigate.

I love the concept of the tabs *so much*. But, damn, it's slow. I mean. Damn.

Mozilla geniuses, I want to be able to use this so badly! Make it faster, please

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The overall experience is slow, but the page rendering is fast. It only renders what is on the screen, like the iPhone, so it is faster. But, the zooming is not smooth (but it is fast), and the scrolling is horrible with it slowing to a crawl and the navigation stuff popping out. Also, some things are not done, like the Zoom buttons turn on "carrot browsing"

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
I love the concept of the tabs *so much*.
I hate tabs and wish they would die.

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
I'm sure they feel the same way about you

Tabs would give the Tablet's browser a much more professional (desktop?) feel, I think. I use tabs very heavily on my laptop (six open now) and I would not want to live without them. The N8X0 may not be able to truly handle this... but... I think that N900 will shine with this baby on it

Tabs are cool for desktops, where you have more space to spare; on a small screen, though, the tabs don't seem like a good tradeoff to me.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
This seems to be a pretty neat browser, but as mentioned the N810 doesn't seem to have enough juice to power it. I like the gestures and how the tab implementation doesn't take away from the screen real estate.
Neat but ultimately without significant performance increases this won't be viable against microB

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
LOL!

You made my day, buddy. You made my day... hahaha!

I installed this on my N800. It does render the pages very fast. I like the concept, but the slow speed makes it unusable and I have a lot of trouble getting it to load another page when tapping on a link.

In my opinion, as a software developer, the slow speed alone makes this unworthy of an alpha release. They should at least get the major, obvious, flaws out before the first alpha. Don't they even try it on every platform before they release it?
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Tags
alpha firefox mobile