Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I don't know what's happened with my N9. Where to start:

Facebook feed on feed screen is a month old and won't update

Camera when used once, will not start again without a reboot since it reports "Camera is busy try restarting"

Can't share any photos, share application closes immediately when "Send" is hit without sending anything.

All messages are gone. Yes this happens a lot, but this time a mere reboot or tracker restart does nothing to bring them back.

All contacts gone. Reboots and tracker restarts do nothing. Attempts to import backups in vcard format look like they work, but still no contacts appear in dialer or contacts app.

Attempts to manually create new contacts entries fail. Hit the "Save"button and the contact app just hangs there forever and must be force closed.

I've been on the forums since 2007, a Nokia user since 1999, and an avid Linux phone enthusiast for a long time. But I just feel freakin' DONE.

I'm just tired of fighting, tired of feeling like the entire world is kicking me in the teeth because I don't use an iPhone or Android phone. Tired of websites not displaying correctly or mistaking my user agent for something else and directing me to non-existant app store.

I'm tired of services like Google Mail or Exchange sync, Pandora, WhatsApp and countless others suddenly removing support that I relied upon to get those services working on my Nokia.

I'm broken and done. I was a smartphone user back when most people didn't even have dumb phones, and now in a world where the internet is designed to punish anyone not using an iPhone or Android device, I'm seriously considering getting a dumb phone for emergencies only and just giving up.

Does anyone wanna buy a Black 16GB N9? I don't think I have the fight left in me to own it anymore. The bastards have won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=281143996994

Last edited by cddiede; 2013-07-30 at 03:12.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Well these problems never happened to me and everybody on TMO knows that I used to have the weirdest issues ever, maybe it's a used one? Did you buy it from a place you trust? Because this does not seem to me like a new or a 'final product'. These issues are very weird and especially if all of them at once.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following User Says Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
I bought the phone new from Nokia back in November of 2011, I'm the only owner.

It's worked fine besides the overall unfair treatment I've received from Nokia (non-support) and the rest of the internet world at large (punished for not using a popular platform).

Coming from the N900 and N800 before that, I'm used to a limited app ecosystem, what's getting me now is more and more websites closing their API's to home brew apps and more and more websites being "optimized" for competing platforms leaving N9 users with few options outside a constant war of attrition just to keep basic services running.

I know there's nothing stopping me from just re-flashing it to fix the current problems and starting over, but I'm so depressed right now I can't bring myself to do anything more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
... I'm seriously considering getting a dumb phone for emergencies only and just giving up.

... I don't think I have the fight left in me to own it anymore. The bastards have won.
We can fix it!
You need to accept that you, beside this "nice" community are on your own and your device can do some but can't other things.
You need to accept that it really will not replace desktop/laptop and you need to let it be.
Do you want help?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
wook_sf, you enthusiasm is infectious and appreciated. I know that many people have written on TMO about the contacts vanishing but I'm a bit stymied about not being able to restore a vcard backup, nor being able to add new contacts manually.

Maybe gettings contacts fixed would be a start, but I'm just out of ideals.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
cddiede - Wow we are in the exact same boat right now...phone is messed up, phone and contacts wouldn't load, and I'm stuck in the process of flashing it and its annoying and frustrating and I echo your sentiment. I think I'm just going to get a boring Galaxy of some kind put Cyanogenmod on it and just wait it out until the Jolla device comes out. However I think this is my last Nokia...wow I went thru a lot with this device, having the screen cracked a month or so after getting it when the device came out (remember the broken device from the meetup in Maryland), having to wait almost 2 months for a replacement screen to get delivered, installing that, dealing with the lack of support, and now this flashing issue...sad times.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
All issue is in user-dirs.dirs, this is probably due to changes in xdg or something, I know that some package on harmattan's repo contains wrong user-dirs.dirs and that thingy "corrupts" all data.
I would doo clean reflash (with emmc too) and start all over.
Asap ScreenshotMee creates first screenshot in /home/user tracker start making problems. So, it would be nice to checkout user-dirs.dirs before taking any screenshots + to verify path of saved screenshots.

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
I think like Zack, I would have to at least flash my phone to fix the contacts bug. If I'm going to flash it, I might as well sell it.

Maybe I'll get my stamina back and find the courage to upgrade to a 64GB N9 and start again.

But I'm still pissed. I shouldn't need stamina for my smart phone. I shouldn't feel ostracized, or made to suffer since the rest of the world has decided to go in another direction.

They decided that the best phones on the market were a burning platform, and now I'm the one on fire.

I'm just gonna flash my 16GB N9 and put it on eBay. I hope I use the money to go toward another community centric linux device, but I think I'm feeling too burned to make that decision right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Just to be clear, no matter which way I go, I wanna keep lurking on these forms,and helping other users when I can.

For six years, this community has been the best and the sympathy and support I've received on my very whiny sounding thread here is proof of that.

Thanks again, guys.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
I am hardcore symbian user and I still use E7 as primary phone (even it runs on crappy QT belle)...so...cddiede, I think I was there where you are now..while ago...
Just reflash, don't restore backups until remove all files except contacts and that would be good I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post: