Originally Posted by qgil View Post
volt, your reasons not to be enthusiastic about MeeGo as N900 owner are all based on the assumption that MeeGo won't run on the N900, but the MeeGo project or Nokia haven't said anything about that.
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Unless there's anything to be enthusiastic about, I'm not.
Today, I have something to be enthusiastic about. And I am.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Valtteri's (valhalla) clarification:
"N900 is a natural tool for Nokia to drive MeeGo support for our designs and for the ARM CPU architecture in general. We want to have baseline HW that is powerful, easily available for anyone and form-factor stuff so that one HW works for most platform and application development needs.
That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story. That is a product business decision beyond my scope. Also, we do not yet know about MeeGo 1 release content. I am not yet sure if I would be personally ready to let my Maemo5 go for the first MeeGo release in my daily N900 use. Let's see
"

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...one#comment-76

Last edited by R.Habrat; 2010-03-04 at 23:15. Reason: (typo)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R.Habrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Good post by valtteri. I'm happy to see that. Somewhat related update on the roadmap, I still haven't received green light from marketing to publish it.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
New information: the N900 will be the first ARM reference hardware platform for MeeGo.

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

If you wait a little more (PR 1.2 and Harmattan alpha SDK release) you will get more announcements and future plans. I'll do my best hunting for the Ovi Maps answer.

In the meantime I will help with the wiki page. Thanks Mandor for starting it!
Thanks for the heads up, we all appreciate what you have done and said. Looking forward to the pr 1.2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Somewhat related update on the roadmap, I still haven't received green light from marketing to publish it.
Still, thank you for putting a roadmap together and working to try to make it public. I appreciate your efforts and hope they will be successful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Still, thank you for putting a roadmap together and working to try to make it public. I appreciate your efforts and hope they will be successful.
I know it's generally bad form to post 'Me too' comments, but I'm going to do it anyway; I think we've still got a way to go on getting Nokia to take a more open attitude, but it's really good to know that there are people in the company making efforts to push things in the right direction.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
I have got some questions to complete the wiki page. Maybe you guys could point me the a post where it has already been covered or answer said questions themselves.

Question 1 : (Directed to Qgil) Is it possible for you to address anything related to the future of Maemo.org at the moment. (I believe it is a no ?). Example :

What happens to those who run Maemo branded forums? To those who are currently members of the Maemo council? What happens to those who work on the Maemo infrastructure and code base - there already exists a MeeGo code base and infrastructure.

Question 2 : Something that is recurring in the forum is : "Maemo/N900 is only 3 months old and already Nokia is announcing a new OS". Perhaps it would be good to give people some perspective on software development. I was thinking maybe to include in the wiki the development time frame of Maemo 5.

Let's say for, example sake, that Nokia announced Fremantle and then X months later they shown the first development board (Beagle Board ?) and finally Y months later customers could purchase the N900. I think it would give an idea to people where "approximately" we are in the development of Harmattan/N9XX.

Question 3 : Will My Favorite Maemo 5 GTK+ Application run on MeeGo 1 ?

Partial answer is : The MeeGo architecture includes GTK+ (Maemo 5 API) for application compatibility. This is not the same as as officially supported. It needs more meat, in my opinion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Ok After much reading I think the top 3 "hot-topic" brought by the community are :

1) The N900 as untapped potential.

That include all the "Nokia is doing nothing about it", "I feel abandonned by Nokia", "Meego is a mean to unleash this potential", "I want Ovi Maps", "I want MMS", "I bought the N900 thinking Nokia would do something about the front-facing camera (or far that matter any other hardware related issue)", "iPhone can but N900 can't", etc ...

2) Misconceptions on software development.

That include : "Why announcing MeeGo now, the N900 is only 3 months old", "Why can't Nokia promise MeeGo on the N900", etc...

3) Communication with the community is deficient. and Misconceptions on the cellphone industry.

I included both together because I believe that it all depends on your point of view. From the community perspective Nokia silence could be interpreted as poor communication, but from Nokia side it is the only practical (business wise) solution.

So I would like to know what you guys would suggest to include in the wiki on each of these points. Please don't discuss about a specific point but have a more general view.

I hope it make sense my eyes/head hurt after reading so many post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Good post by valtteri. I'm happy to see that. Somewhat related update on the roadmap, I still haven't received green light from marketing to publish it.
Actually Urho's email sits in my mailbox and I'm currently the bottleneck. Why? Some obscure marketing blocking? No, I simply didn't have the time to deal with it yesterday. MeeGo bootstrapping and Harmattan alpha SDK release are taking most of my time these days and then a lot of my extra time is going to this forum trying to clarify FUD related questions and try to shed some light around instant negative/pessimistic reactions.

So yes, dealing with FUD might take a lot of time (those of you involved in the threads know very well). This time is taken from the time you would concentrate on productive stuff. This is one mathematical reason why adding more FUD doesn't really help getting more things done sooner for the current and future Maemo/MeeGo community.

I like Mandor's approach because is useful. Any minute put in the wiki page he started saves plenty of minutes to all of us. Thank you again! I'll address your questions as soon as I hit the office.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by R.Habrat View Post
Valtteri's (valhalla) clarification:
"N900 is a natural tool for Nokia to drive MeeGo support for our designs and for the ARM CPU architecture in general. We want to have baseline HW that is powerful, easily available for anyone and form-factor stuff so that one HW works for most platform and application development needs.
That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story. That is a product business decision beyond my scope. Also, we do not yet know about MeeGo 1 release content. I am not yet sure if I would be personally ready to let my Maemo5 go for the first MeeGo release in my daily N900 use. Let's see
"

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...one#comment-76
http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: