Active Topics

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Beautiful! I love snow.
Every season has its own particular beauty. Here is the same place in the autumn:

Pictures taken with galaxy note 4.

Last edited by ryu1; 2017-12-11 at 09:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
I hear someone likes snow?
Back here in Bielefeld it has been quite a snow day.
First time also I built a "snölykta".
What opportunity to take out my Game900 and prove it can also take pictures .
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sebar For This Useful Post:
Well, the mighty week is over.
Thanks to everybody who participated. N900 still is a great device that can be used in 2018, 9 years after its release.

Is anybody from this forum going to be at FOSDEM in Brussels?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Beautiful! I love snow.
Snow? That must be why ryu1's post contains just a big white space where I suppose pictures were meant to be. They are pictures of white snow!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Snow? That must be why ryu1's post contains just a big white space where I suppose pictures were meant to be. They are pictures of white snow!
I'm sorry, I used links form google photos. I was able to see the images, but now after opening this in a incognito window, I saw that they are not visible. Links edited.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the fix - I thought maybe it was a fault of my system.
Dave999 is right, beautiful pictures! You definitely put more effort in yours . What a shame - the mighty N900 week is over...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sebar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
The official n900 week is over, and so is year 2017... But my personal n900 week, or let's see how long it lasts, started today. And I think this post belongs here because it is basically an anthem to N900, flavored with some questions in the end.

As a Finnish geeky man, it is quite odd that I somehow managed to completely ignore N900/N9, Symbians and the whole golden age of Nokia actually. In 2012, when I was a frustrated Android user, I heard about Jolla and pre-ordered the phone. While seeking for help with some issue on Jolla phone, I ended up lurking here.

Before that point, I had no idea what kind of masterpiece N900 was/is. I couldn't understand that disappointment and frustration of former Nokia users which had moved to Jolla. The phone and the OS were in alpha stage when they came, but the worst thing is that they still are in that stage. But I don't want to blame Jolla any more, because my point is how awesome N900 is.

For these years, I have been lurking here and looking for Sailfish stuff. But I have also read a lot about Maemo, N900, N9 etc. I started to think that it'd almost an honor to own N900. As a piece of history of Finnish technology. As a proof of Nokia's long gone golden age.

So I bought a used N900. I thought that it'd be cool just to own it, and that I could perhaps use it as a Spotify player in my car or something like that. Then I decided to start from basics and go higher to see what actually works and what doesn't. I reflashed, installed CSSU, Kernel Power. Everything went well, thanks to great instructions. I installed QSpot and found out that it actually works quite well. Then Modrana (GPS fix was an issue, but I found great instructions frome here, thanks Ulle ans sicelo). Then youtube (cutetube2, thanks to freemangordon for providing working packages). After those I installed Pidgin with Facebook messenger plugin (thanks to gidzzz, it is awesome) and Telegram plugin (which didn't show up in account list. I was getting a bit frustrated but then I found rgodinez's post in Telegram plugin thread, and that solved the problem).

Overall, I'm amazed how well the device still works. And how wide the catalogue of (working) apps is. Especially when compared to Sailfish. And speaking of Sailfish, I feel myself a lot more comfortable in Maemo. One thing is physical keyboard. Another thing is deb-based package management. I use Debian on my desktop and laptop, so having similar system on phone just feels a lot more safe. In fact, I have been too afraid to even try to tweak things in Sailfish. I'm sure that it is easy to break Maemo too, but I'm not too afraid of it. I haven't tried Easy Debian yet, but I'll have to give it a try.

Also I'm amazed about the work of this community, and the fact that the work still continues. Every problem I encountered was already solved here. It is just awesome. At the moment, I'm a bit bored/frustrated to Sailfish, and I don't know what to do. I haven't tried Sailfish X, but I feel like I don't even want to. Today I took my SIM card from my Oneplus X (running Sailfish port) and put it to N900. I guess I'll try how long N900 fits to my needs, and after that perhaps try some Androids on OPX. And I'm looking forward to chenlianchen's lauta project

Some issues / questions. I got working almost everything I need. Biggest problem at the moment is calendar. I've been using Google calendar. For example, I import my job shifts to Google calendar and sync it with Sailfish. It'd be PITA to write them manually straight to phone. So is there any working solution to sync google calendar to N900? I tried Erminig, but got some errors and I guess it is deprecated. Is there something else? In theory just any calendar which works on browser and in maemo would do, but I'm most interested about Google calendar solutions.

Another thing. I installed libpurple to get vibrations and notification leds to Pidgin and it works. Pidgin has that annoying way of playing sound when somebody logs in/out. I didn't find a way to disable that, so I muted all the sounds in Pidgin. So now I get vibration and led blinking from libpurple, but no sound. Is there a way to enable sounds for incoming messages but nothing else?

The browser is indeed a bottleneck for daily use. I have tried Opera, but my device tends to freeze when I try to open any site. The browser becomes unusably laggy, and it freezes other apps too. I have read about Fennec browser, but looks like it's only in Thumb and I'm using Testing. Is it worth of switching to thumb? If I have understood it right, apps in Testing/Stable/Devel are not usable in Thumb? Is there many apps missing in thumb? Or are all of the apps I mentioned basically in Thumb also, and then some more like Fennec Browser?

Huh, this post grew quite long. If you read it completely, thanks for reading And thanks in advance for any help!

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
The browser is indeed a bottleneck for daily use. I have tried Opera, but my device tends to freeze when I try to open any site. The browser becomes unusably laggy, and it freezes other apps too. I have read about Fennec browser, but looks like it's only in Thumb and I'm using Testing. Is it worth of switching to thumb? If I have understood it right, apps in Testing/Stable/Devel are not usable in Thumb? Is there many apps missing in thumb? Or are all of the apps I mentioned basically in Thumb also, and then some more like Fennec Browser?
Hi,

for the browser try opera-mobile version: 12.1beta1-16~fremantle0. For me it is working fine, no freeze; only issue is that for opening some sites (e.g: stackoverflow) user agent has to set 'desktop'.
I have Fennec 17.0 installed (I'm on CSSU Testing though); it is good but for me opera is better/faster most of the times.
As far as I know you cannot use thumb packages in Testing/Stable.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
I am using Surf (on easy debian) whenever I need a browser and eww (emacs browser) is failing.
The maemo leste team will probably also decide to use it [source]. I definitely support that decision and look forward to an improved version. Surf doesn't need a lot of resources and is capable of displaying modern sites. That said, you shouldn't expect miracles.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
for the browser try opera-mobile version: 12.1beta1-16~fremantle0. For me it is working fine, no freeze;
Thanks! Works much better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post: