Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
I am hoping you don't have a screwed up wireless chipset, if you do.. I don't know what you can do to get it to work.. though the error stated there seems to be quite serious.. it could even be a bad firmware file.

Ti wl1251 is a softmac (software based Media Access Control) and has firmware sitting on the oneNAND which normally is uploaded by the CPU (Ti OMAP 3430). The firmware blob files sits in /lib/firmware (in Nokia N900's case). Those firmware files are not written in plaintext format so if they are corrupted they may also cause the kernel module to not work.

now when I try to execute the command
ifconfig wlan0 up

the prompt is totally stuck and cannot be stopped by CTRL + C or moved to background by CTRL + Z. If i try to open a new terminal and hit sudo gainroot it is stuck there as well. Only option left is to restart the phone.

But before doing this I tried to select intenet connection from the status bar and I got no wlan networks displayed and at the same time the already connected data connection of my mobile is displayed but disabled in the list so I can't disconnect.After thid I did hit the dmesg command and I got the sam error indicated before, i.e.

HTML Code:
[  430.598266] wl1251: WARNING WLAN not ready
[  430.598449] wl1251: ERROR unsupported chip id: 0x0

So this was after you have used wlan switcher to turn the interface up or what?

yes. before that it was working fine.

After eMMC reflash i did not install it at all. but still i get the same error.

I found out another thread with a similar issue. Looks like my wlan chip is screwed up. Check the thread...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...70#post1085970

i am also having the same problem for quite a while now, i am not able to connect or find any wifi networks, but i can connect to the 3g or 2g networks.

when i search for networks (when they are present ) it does not display them(except my phone comp. 3g network)

in terminal when i run "top" i am not able to see the wlan0 process running (which i could see before this problem)

also the dmesg gives me a different msg, other than the ppl having uptil now, it shows

wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780
wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.7)
wl1251: down

does this problem need a reflash or is there a way around

Even I had a similar issue. I took it to the Nokia service center and there was moisture on the mother board. I could recollect from my memory that, I've spilled some juice on my n900 accidentally. That blew up the wireless lan chip over some period if not immediate.

Since my phone was OUT OF WARRANTY I had to pay them INR8000 to get it repaired. That is the minimum cost for any repair related to Nokia N900 in India.

In return they offered me N8 and I rejected it, next they offer me E7 and I rejected that offer as well. These phones were offered at the cost of my repair, i.e. INR8000. I didn't want SYMBIAN, simple.

They eventually repaired it and sent it back and now it works like a charm.

Originally Posted by 101aj View Post
i am also having the same problem for quite a while now, i am not able to connect or find any wifi networks, but i can connect to the 3g or 2g networks.

when i search for networks (when they are present ) it does not display them(except my phone comp. 3g network)

in terminal when i run "top" i am not able to see the wlan0 process running (which i could see before this problem)

also the dmesg gives me a different msg, other than the ppl having uptil now, it shows

wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780
wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.7)
wl1251: down

does this problem need a reflash or is there a way around
1) Have you checked to see which mode is your wlan0 interface is in?
Code:
iwconfig wlan0
If it is in modes other than Managed then you will not be able to see any networks.

2) wlan0 should not have its own process shown in top. wlan0 is not a program but rather an interface. If anything you may be able to see kernel module on the list if its in use. In which this case it would probably show up as [wl12xx] (note how its in brackets).

3) Your issue is not exactly the same as srkkiran as the output of the dmesg is completely different. Your dmesg output shows that your wireless chipset booted up normally and then it was either manually turned off via
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 down
or you used a program to turn off wireless.

iwconfig wlan0
this command gives iwconfig not found (even when in root)
and when i did "sudo iwconfig wlan0" it asks for a password... i dont know which password
do i need to reflash??

can anyone plz help... :P :P