Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Thanks to everyone who answered questions one the wiki:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Nokia_World_2009_QA

I've been trying to follow NW09 closely, but it seems like T-Mobile US did not make any announcements regarding the N900.

Does anyone know more about the N900 carriers, release date, prices, etc. for the US?

Or do we just have to wait until October 1st to learn more?

Originally Posted by Mikey Dread View Post
Will this workflow be possible with a N900 and Maemo 5:

1) Connect n900 directly to a Canon EOS via usb cable.

2) Browse to a reasonably sized jpeg on FAT16 compact flash card and transfer image to N900.

3) Open it in some basic image editor to lighten or darken. (something with a histogram, but Gimp is over kill)

4) Add IPTC info to the file.

5) Send via FTP.
I'm not an expert, and never owned any of the other Meamo devices, but my guess is that it's possible. Not supported by Nokia (as usb host mode isn't supported officially), but if you have the adapter and the right softwares, if should be no problem. No idea about what software allready exists to help you with that (points 3, 4, 5), apart from the usb host mode enabler for previous Internet Tablets.
Wait for a more expert answer though.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Are there pictures of internals already?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
This is a big bummer. Really big. Nokia, please fix this before October. Thanks in advance.
You do know that redesigning the hardware (including chipsets, motherboard layouts, manufacturing rigs) a month before the release ain't gonna happen, right?

Yes, having a magnetometer would be cool. It doesn't. Let's move on with what we can do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
I'm not an expert, and never owned any of the other Meamo devices, but my guess is that it's possible. Not supported by Nokia (as usb host mode isn't supported officially), but if you have the adapter and the right softwares, if should be no problem. No idea about what software allready exists to help you with that (points 3, 4, 5), apart from the usb host mode enabler for previous Internet Tablets.
Wait for a more expert answer though.
There is certainly software for FTP for Maemo 4 (GFTP), so hopefully it should be easy enough to get that working on Maemo 5 too.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
You do know that redesigning the hardware (including chipsets, motherboard layouts, manufacturing rigs) a month before the release ain't gonna happen, right?
woosh

Let's move on
Well, device convergence is kind of being shoved down our throats, so AR recently became more important to me. These devices are part toy, and one of the biggest fun factors will be missing. Here we have something that can only be done with a mobile device, and the technological capability is now reasonably available. And Nokia neglected a piece. So yes, as far as a purchase goes, I'll probably remain in a holding pattern or move on.

But of all the people who actually programmed for the device, who was more bummed than you?

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
so AR recently became more important to me. These devices are part toy, and one of the biggest fun factors will be missing. Here we have something that can only be done with a mobile device, and the technological capability is now reasonably available. And Nokia neglected a piece.
I'm assuming it was looked at and not a viable option (either due to cost, h/w constraints, time to market etc.). It's possible Nokia didn't consider it. Either way, we don't have it - and it does suck.

But of all the people who actually programmed for the device, who was more bummed than you?
I'd love to have (or develop) an AR app. I think it's a fun toy and will have interesting and compelling mainstream use cases too.

However, for me, the advantages of the N900 over another device outweigh the disadvantage of no magnetometer. And there's nothing I can do to make the N900 have one (unless we can tack one on via USB)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
I'm assuming it was looked at and not a viable option (either due to cost, h/w constraints, time to market etc.). It's possible Nokia didn't consider it. Either way, we don't have it - and it does suck.

I'd love to have (or develop) an AR app. I think it's a fun toy and will have interesting and compelling mainstream use cases too.

However, for me, the advantages of the N900 over another device outweigh the disadvantage of no magnetometer. And there's nothing I can do to make the N900 have one (unless we can tack one on via USB)

hi jaffa, i want to ask about video calling, i made a thread in N900 section, but since you are here ( and you are the one who answer most of the wiki page on N900) i just ask again here.

Is N900 is capable of making cellular and web cam video calling?
if yes and can be used out of the box, why is it not mentioned is specs?
if no, what is the purpose of nokia putting front camera? can it be implemented in the future? why isn't nokia put it as a default call apps? i bet it is not as ancient as MMS

Last edited by BaKSo; 2009-09-04 at 13:21.

Originally Posted by BaKSo View Post
hi jaffa, i want to ask about video calling, i made a thread in N900 section, but since you are here ( and you are the one who answer most of the wiki page on N900) i just ask again here.
I did see it there, sorry for not anwering it.

Is N900 is capable of making cellular and web cam video calling?
Video calls over IP using Google Talk definitely worked between an N8x0 and an N900 - I tested this. I haven't seen if you can make a 3G UMTS video call. Although on any of my 3G phones to date, I think I've only used video calls once; however with my N810 I use it whenever I'm away from home to say g'night to the kids (& wife ;-))

Whether Skype will finally support video or not, I've no idea.

if yes and can be used out of the box, why is it not mentioned is specs?
That's a question for Nokia's marketing dept ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
. I haven't seen if you can make a 3G UMTS video call.
thanks for the reply, however is this possible? i mean to be implemented in later stages?