Active Topics

I put them in my back pocket like an idiot and sat on hard surfaces. But i just got a brand new one off e-bay for $100 and I just won a Wi-Max as well which will be here next week.

And now I have a hip holster, so no more accidently cracked screens for me.

Originally Posted by Johnnie Price View Post
I put them in my back pocket like an idiot and sat on hard surfaces. And now I have a hip holster, so no more accidently cracked screens for me.
The original Urban Tool slyFox (not the new 7" version) is perfect for the n810. It attaches to your belt or belt loops and the n810's leather case fits snug allowing you to easily slide the n810 in and out and it won't fall out even if the flap is left open, unless you are doing something that could knock it out.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
For those following this thread, my CyberNav Mini finally cleared customs and was delivered yesterday. Absolute first impression: Android sucks compared to Maemo. I expect I'll warm to it over time, as I figure out how to make it do things, but overall it just seems very clunky. I suppose that's what you have to do to make an OS fit on a tiny phone screen. Seems like a waste for even a 5" screen though.

I've written up a review for others looking at this device:
http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/2012/0...ni-review.html

David....

Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
Android sucks compared to Maemo.
The Java behind Android is keeping me from using it. You should try to install Meego or a Linux distro plus KDE Plasma/Active on it.

Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
The Java behind Android is keeping me from using it. You should try to install Meego or a Linux distro plus KDE Plasma/Active on it.
Yup... I expect I'll wind up dual-booting it eventually, but part of the reason I picked it up is to get a decent understanding of Android. Thus, I intend to give it some time - even if my first impressions are low.

The N810 is my daily carry-around and this CyberNav thing isn't going to change that. One day with it is enough to know that for sure. It's just a toy and I have plenty of time to play,

David...

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
@op Have you received the N810 yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to philheaton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by philheaton View Post
@op Have you received the N810 yet?
Not yet... but I'm out in the colonies don't you know The steam ship is probably still trying to bust through the ice on the east coast.

More seriously, if the CyberNav from China is any indication (it included tracking), the package will take a day to process at your end, then a couple of days to puddle-jump warehouse to warehouse, then get shipped off to customs for some gawd-awful period of time (about a week last time) then spend another two days getting into the local Postie's hands such that he can secretly observe me, waiting around until I leave for 10 minutes and then deliver the notification that tells me I have to wait another day and then go pick it up at the local outlet. I mean, this IS Canada we're talking about.

Okay, it's not really that bad. I did get the CyberNav delivered to my hand without any tax or duty, so I shouldn't complain. And, considering the distance, it's actually quite amazing in any historical context.

So, yeah, still eagerly waiting.

David...

Yay! Phil's N810 arrived today. Happy happy happy

I had to run off to work before I could play with it but it seems in much better condition than mine. Then again, I haven't had a chance to drop Phil's yet

That pretty much solves my backup issues... and "you can have it for free" is about the best deal possible. I am in Phil's debt, payback or pay-forward... it's his call.

So, now the work begins: Re-flash, community SSU, and then all the tweaks and application installs. I'll fully document the process and post it here. Maybe it will be useful to someone, someday.

I'm also expecting a broken N810 from Johnnie Price. How lucky can one guy get? When that comes in, I'll document the disassembly process as well, once I figure out how to do it that is. From there, I'll figure out how to repair the keyboard slider on my original unit. Then I'll have one to use and one perfect spare as a backup. I should be good for years to come. Maybe they'll make the perfect N810 replacement by then.

David...

Last edited by fixerdave; 2012-02-10 at 03:38.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
Yay! Phil's N810 arrived today. Happy happy happy
Enjoy! Glad it arrived safely.

I'll be sending mine out as soon as I can make it to the Post Office. FedEx turned out to be out of my price range, so as soon as I can get a free hour in the middle of the day it will be shipped. Sorry for the delay. I'll let you know as soon as it gets under way.

Tags
nokia n810, wanted