Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
N900 still is an amazing and beatiful device but is becoming limited each year
We see hardware limits, but not software limits yet.

N900 has 2000 times more RAM and 200 times more powerfull CPU than what is minimum system requirements for this OS:
http://www.symbos.de/index.htm
Even maximum ram for it is 1024 KB.

So we only have to push some limits with optimized code for N900.
Or at least make TSL 1.3 support with this https://github.com/classilla/cryanc
And N900 is fast enough to work both client and server for it.

Last edited by teroyk; 2023-02-15 at 16:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
We see hardware limits, but not software limits yet.

N900 has 2000 times more RAM and 200 times more powerfull CPU than what is minimum system requirements for this OS:
http://www.symbos.de/index.htm
Even maximum ram for it is 1024 KB.

So we only have to push some limits with optimized code for N900.
Or at least make TSL 1.3 support with this https://github.com/classilla/cryanc
And N900 is fast enough to work both client and server for it.

This reminded me of the legendary quote “640K ought to be enough for anybody”.
Are we talking about random OS’s for the sake of the argument though? Or about something that a N900 user would actually install to make his phone a bit more usable than stock Maemo?
Cause I can’t see that thing you mentioned being something that anyone would want to install on N900 when trying to “modernize” the software.

About software in general I also disagree. The only limit software has is hardware, that’s why time takes care of stuff like that.
The more the hardware evolves and becomes cheaper, the better the software we get. Not the other way around.

Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
With devel do not do apt upgrade. On the forum there is my thread devel upgrades. Check it. And if I recall right when you enable the devel repo you will get to application manager the cssu devel as a choice to install on the apps list.
What is the recommended way of running Telegram? I got an incorrect phone number error with the Pidgin plugin from ```devel-extras```.

Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Some use telegram cli wirh xterm. It should be somewhere here on the forum.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
Are we talking about random OS’s for the sake of the argument though?
It was an example that when hardware was taken to full use with optimized software. If N900 software take full use of its hardware with optimized code, where is the limit?

Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
About software in general I also disagree. The only limit software has is hardware, that’s why time takes care of stuff like that.
The more the hardware evolves and becomes cheaper, the better the software we get. Not the other way around.
Actually my point is when we get faster hardware more cheaper, we get lazy to use its full potential with software. The software limit is more are more how optimize code and how it use full potential of hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
The hardware would be exponential compared to needs if we could make a KolibriOs or MenuetOs fork for N900. Or just writing apps with assembly, like Netsurf browser.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Actually my point is when we get faster hardware more cheaper, we get lazy to use its full potential with software. The software limit is more are more how optimize code and how it use full potential of hardware.
That is true. But in this instance hardware evolved so much the last decade, that even if software is poorly optimized the difference in favor of the new hardware is still chaotic.

I use Extras-Devel to get some packages like, for example, mscim and anki. It is risky, but I pinned Extra-Testing for all software to prevent my system from upgrading to Extras-Devel.

I also use BackupMenu. Coincidentally, I needed to restore from back-up yesterday. A package made my system broken beyond my power to repair it. Again, Extras-Devel is risky, but some packages in it are really good.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by Lambda the Typer of Terms View Post
I use Extras-Devel to get some packages like, for example, mscim and anki. It is risky, but I pinned Extra-Testing for all software to prevent my system from upgrading to Extras-Devel.

I also use BackupMenu. Coincidentally, I needed to restore from back-up yesterday. A package made my system broken beyond my power to repair it. Again, Extras-Devel is risky, but some packages in it are really good.
I have been using Extras-Devel from the day I bought N900. It's good as most of the updated packages are in that repo.

N900 is truly one of its kind device and I have recently started using mine again.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Sometimes old default browser is more compatible with old web pages than any modern browsers:
http://rickdangerousflash.free.fr/
scroll down page little that game fits to screen. Some N900 keyboard layouts don't work (example finnish/swedish), because need arrow keys without bluearrow.