Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
Thanks for you input!

1) I will look in to this. I can try to make it so, that if sending fails, it will try a later time again.
2) I will implement a wipe function (it will run a batch script, if available, where users can put in directories they want to delete.
3) If somebody knows howto do this/has a solution, please mail me.
4) Thecnically it can be implemented, maybe I will.
5) As of v0.5-6 all user settings can be changed by SMSCON (crypted & uncrypted). The command is: smscon -set <name> "<value>", so strictly you don't need SMSCON-editor if you want to (to keep it pure a command-line application) and keep it more hidden.
6) I personnaly think WiFi is unreliable for this; connections easely can be lost (if your phone is moving or coverage is limited). For some 3G Internet maybe costly, but losing a phone will also be costly. If the cell reception is unavailable, well then it over.
7) This is a nice idea, I maybe will try to implement this in a future release.
Thanks, I have some ideas about how to do them, probably you already know it but It wouldn't hurt to talk about it anyway :

1) afaik crontab, or something crontab-like is already installable on N900. So creating a script to trigger notifying owner function, then adding it to crontab if IMSI check is failed (and removing it if smscon gets verified IMSI later or valid stop command received) would work. Then It's all about changing single target number to multiple targets, which I guess is not a hard thing to do.

2) As already said by other users, I think giving them an option to call another script if SMS command received/IMSI check failed (depends on user preference) would be a better idea, so they can add new options to it. (playing a sound, twitting about it via CLI twitter client, wiping data..)

3) @kiwirus suggested a nice solution for it, but I don't know how/or if its even possible to bypass a notification box, anyway I google'd about it and found something, I don't know exactly if it works or even if it's related to this matter but anyway: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62593 I looked at it for a very limited time and it seems like changing some .conf files makes it possible to remove those yellow boxes. So, making an option "If IMSI check is failed, Disable All Notifications" and changing that file according to it maybe could help. Maybe It would be possible to making changes in mce.ini, so blue led notification could be removed too.

5) I think that adding an option to smscon-editor to remove it from menu would be better, so I don't need to install/remove it everytime I want to make changes, with a proper GUI, plus removing a .desktop file looks like an easy thing to do. (again, I don't know anything about details =)

7) Maybe wget or curl could help you about doing it.

It's nice to know that you care Hope those help you about smscon.

Last edited by Aranel; 2010-10-16 at 10:39.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Australia
I have just installed smscon 0.5-7 and smscon-editor 0.6-1

Some of smscon works well, but other parts not so well!

For a start, smscon can be found in /opt/smscon/smscon
but the smscon executable is not in the path, and so the command 'smscon' cannot be executed from the command line without prepending '/opt/smscon'. Trying to start smscon from smscon-editor does not work, perhaps because smscon is not in the default path?

Issuing the command 'check' to my N900 results in about a dozen SMSs being sent back! All commands the commands I have tried (check, location and camera) result in two acknowledgements. Check also sends a command list which is broken into three separate SMSs, each of which is sent about four or five times!

The smscon -log does twice show
DAEMON ERROR: failed to send SMS to "+xxxxxxxxxx"

after receiving the check command.

smscon also failed to send the location details (after GPS position was acquired) to the mobile phone issuing the command, although it did send the command acknowledgment to the same phone and also correctly sent the google map picture to the nominated e-mail address.

despite my complaints, this program is really cool!

david.

I've not tried SMScon yet, and look forward to doing so soon, but I was wondering... I'm sure there used to be another app with the same general idea behind it as this. Infact, I had it installed a while ago, although have since reflashed my device. So, what happened to that?

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
I foolishly edited the smscon_config file and I can't start the smscon editor anymore - it gives me "fatal error" message.

Will replacing the smscon_config file with the original fix the problem. If so, could someone send me one?

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Tomorrow I will push a new update (0.5-9) to the auto-builder, which will solve a few problems some users had with SMS sending. (I had made internal changes in the previous code which had more repercussions that I had anticipated).

Originally Posted by bowen View Post
Very nice app!

It would be very nice if there were a few commands to execute user-defined scripts - This would also save the headache involved in implementing the featue a few others requested - a command to wipe the device. Any user who wants such a thing can write their own script for it and point SMSCON to the correct file.
Version 0.5-9 will also add the use of a user-defined shell script file (/opt/smscon/smscon_script) so that user can run other programs, delete files etc. How this works see the wiki when released.

Changelog:

0.5-9
  • NEW: added new smscon command: COM_CUSTOM to run a user configurable shell script (/opt/smscon/smscon_script)
  • NEW: if user setting REMOTEUSER, REMOTEPASSWORD is empty, "Remoteon" & "Remoteoff" function is disabled in smscon.
  • NEW: smscon will send automatically a SMS message when smscon is activated & device battery is depleting.
  • EXPERIMENTAL/NEW: when new SIM card inserted ("thief SIM card swap") & no cell reception available, smscon will retry to send SMS after 900 seconds, until sending was successful (cell reception available again).
  • CHANGE: added time notation in GPS email & SMS messages.
  • CHANGE: improved the way smscon reads user settings from smscon_config file.
  • EXPERIMENTAL/FIX: change in getting the right GPRS connections; MMS & WAP will be discarded in available GPRS network list. (thanks to Zimon)
  • FIX: picture of frontcam & GoogleMap image are named wrong & placed therefore in wrong directory.
  • FIX: smscon fails to send SMS message when message is too long (> 160 chars.).

Last edited by digitalvoid; 2010-10-19 at 15:03. Reason: added text

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digitalvoid For This Useful Post:
Hey guys,

Theres a small flaw to this app.
If you've installed this app on your phone, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE A SECURITY LOCK ON YOUR PHONE.

My n900 was stolen yesterday .. I had a security lock code on my phone. And because of that, i wont be getting my phone back .

The thing is guys, the thief would take the battery out as soon as possible. Once he reboots the phone with a new sim or no sim at all, then the security lock code appears..hence he is forced to reformat the phone. and thus, the point of this software is gone.
If i hadnt put a lock code, the thief would have probably sold it to another person, and in turn, my friend wouldve gotten an sms on the imei number change.
I COULDVE CAUGHT THAT M*THERF**KER!!
Learn from my mistake guys.

You NEVER know when your phone can be stolen.
(TRUST ME..I AM ONE OF THE MOST CAREFUL PEOPLE EVER.
I CHECK MY POCKETS EVERY 20 MINUTES.I JUST GOT HUSTLED BY THE ROBBER..)
Ive been a religious member of this forum. But now, i think its time to say good bye ..(wont be able to afford a new n900)
Its been really nice knowing all of you guys here.

the phone always had surprises. Every day a new app would pop up my news feed.

Any ways, moral of the story is to make sure you dont have a security lock code if you have this app installed people. It could cancel out the sole purpose of the app.

**** this phone was good

Goodbye guys,

Love,

Mangal

Originally Posted by mangal_sk8erboy View Post
Hey guys,

Theres a small flaw to this app.
If you've installed this app on your phone, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE A SECURITY LOCK ON YOUR PHONE.

My n900 was stolen yesterday .. I had a security lock code on my phone. And because of that, i wont be getting my phone back .

The thing is guys, the thief would take the battery out as soon as possible. Once he reboots the phone with a new sim or no sim at all, then the security lock code appears..hence he is forced to reformat the phone. and thus, the point of this software is gone.
If i hadnt put a lock code, the thief would have probably sold it to another person, and in turn, my friend wouldve gotten an sms on the imei number change.
I COULDVE CAUGHT THAT M*THERF**KER!!
Learn from my mistake guys.

You NEVER know when your phone can be stolen.
(TRUST ME..I AM ONE OF THE MOST CAREFUL PEOPLE EVER.
I CHECK MY POCKETS EVERY 20 MINUTES.I JUST GOT HUSTLED BY THE ROBBER..)
Ive been a religious member of this forum. But now, i think its time to say good bye ..(wont be able to afford a new n900)
Its been really nice knowing all of you guys here.

the phone always had surprises. Every day a new app would pop up my news feed.

Any ways, moral of the story is to make sure you dont have a security lock code if you have this app installed people. It could cancel out the sole purpose of the app.

**** this phone was good

Goodbye guys,

Love,

Mangal
That's a big bummer , it would be really really great if SMSCON would have helped you to retrieve your phone.

Did you try to send an SMSCON command to you phone?

For the development of SMSCON I will look if I can think out a scenario in a future release (possible idea: if SIM card has been swapped (different IMSI number) automatically unlock the phone)

New update released (v0.5-9)

WARNING:
The install package will re-initialize the smscon_config file if you are updating a previous version of SMSCON; due to new SMSCON command (COM_CUSTOM). SMSCON-editor 0.6-1 will not be able to edit this command, so for now use a text editor on your phone or use the
Code:
smscon -set
command to change the user variable.

Saturn will eventually release a new version of SMSCON-editor which will have a the ability to edit this new user variable.

Default value of new SMSCON command:

Code:
COM_CUSTOM = "Script"
Change log:

0.5-9
  • NEW: added new smscon command: COM_CUSTOM to run a user configurable shell script (/opt/smscon/smscon_script)
  • NEW: if user setting REMOTEUSER, REMOTEPASSWORD is empty, "Remoteon" & "Remoteoff" function is disabled in smscon.
  • NEW: smscon will send automatically a SMS message when smscon is activated & device battery is depleting.
  • CHANGE: added new options in smscon menu.
  • CHANGE: added time notation in GPS email & SMS messages.
  • CHANGE: improved the way smscon reads user settings from smscon_config file.
  • EXPERIMENTAL/CHANGE: when smscon fails to send SMS message (no cell reception) it will retry after 900 seconds.
  • EXPERIMENTAL/FIX: change in getting the right GPRS connections; MMS & WAP will be discarded in available GPRS network list.
  • FIX: picture of frontcam & GoogleMap image are named wrong & placed therefore in wrong directory.
  • FIX: smscon fails to send SMS message when message is too long (> 160 chars.)

Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
That's a big bummer , it would be really really great if SMSCON would have helped you to retrieve your phone.

Did you try to send an SMSCON command to you phone?

For the development of SMSCON I will look if I can think out a scenario in a future release (possible idea: if SIM card has been swapped (different IMSI number) automatically unlock the phone)
yeah thats the 1st thing that came into my mind.
Trackon

but my phone was already off by then.
And for the message to deliver, it needs to be switched on, on the same sim card, which is sort of impossible.
atleast I would have gotten the imsi number if i hadnt locked my phone .
any ways, is there a way to get my phone back through my IMEI number?
the imei number is printed on the box that comes with the phone.
Can you help me please?

I really love my phone!

Originally Posted by mangal_sk8erboy View Post
yeah thats the 1st thing that came into my mind.
Trackon

but my phone was already off by then.
And for the message to deliver, it needs to be switched on, on the same sim card, which is sort of impossible.
atleast I would have gotten the imsi number if i hadnt locked my phone .
any ways, is there a way to get my phone back through my IMEI number?
the imei number is printed on the box that comes with the phone.
Can you help me please?

I really love my phone!
With your IMEI your telecom operator can block the usage of your phone.

PS: What you wrote (in red) is not true, if phone is unlocked and swapped with other SIM card, this SIM cards phone connection is used to send you a SMS with it's number, IMSI number & telecom operator.