Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
Don't you think that a faster processor with 10,000 cores would only need 10,000 times more power? Yes single core processor, 1 GHz but doesn't that satisfy the needs that you would have?

Would it not be worth having a phone run the day rather than carry around a phone that's blazingly fast... only out of power all the time

It's fast enough. With the right operating system. the right UI, has the right hardware. Just needs polishing. But it is pretty neat already

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to danested For This Useful Post:
This phone has no lags at all. I can't notice any lag.
The processor is powerfull, it is "old" and it is not dual core but, come on, this is a mobile device, puting a dual core 1.5 Ghz processor on a mobile phone is so stupid.
My lap top has 2 Ghz processor, and it works like it should.
It needs some polishing and that's it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ENNINE For This Useful Post:
none is forcing you, if you think its not sufficient then don't get it.

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Not every single OS needs a dual core processor... It's actually only Android that needs and even with 1ghz dual core processor, I have seen lag which is very surprising and that's due to the OS being very power hungry.

On the other hand Meego (Harmattan), Symbian and Windows 7.5 are doing amazing with a 1 ghz processor.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chiron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
a more powerful processor doesnt always need more power ...speed is not the only thing that improves efficincy as well ...if that was the case we would have our phones connected to car batteries by now ..the one thing that improves at a snails pace is battery capacity

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
It is important to give a balance view.

In time, everybody wants a smartphone with a dual processor; there are advantages operationally especially when you are multi-tasking.

The meego 1.2 harmatten OS is light and not so precessor hungry as, say Android, so a 1gz processor does the job (regardless of how old) and works fine. But if your N9 is in sync and updating, there is definitely a lag occasionally. But.....

I view the N9 in then whole; I judge it by all of its features and effciciency. On balance, it is a fantastic phone. It is sleek, unique, has a gorgeous form factor and great UI.

There is nothing on the market that can compare to the N9 at the moment, It's processor does what it needs to do and I do not feel that it is second rate.

But it is "horses for courses". In the UK we say, you pays your money and takes your choice.

I have never regretted my N9 purchase :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpfsn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by danested View Post
Don't you think that a faster processor with 10,000 cores would only need 10,000 times more power? Yes single core processor, 1 GHz but doesn't that satisfy the needs that you would have?

Would it not be worth having a phone run the day rather than carry around a phone that's blazingly fast... only out of power all the time

It's fast enough. With the right operating system. the right UI, has the right hardware. Just needs polishing. But it is pretty neat already
A nice thread indeed with perfect opening lines...

Yes, why do we need a dual core in our telephony device? And tomorrow they might come-out with a Core2Duo or i3-i5-i7??? No, we definitely do not need that, at least as of now. I'd say - it is just an 'excess baggage'!

The N9 is superfine... with its ecosystem it is doing just fine. Volumes have been written on the net about its perfectness -- about how MeeGo is a 'balanced OS'... how it actually should have been the turn-around [trump]card for Nokia - who instead wasted a shot at renewed fame - and just might again be in doldrums with WP.

Come to think of it -- what if Apple didn't stick with it's iOS? It was a new platform then... untested... how the iPhone4S would have been with another OS, if at all there would have been an iPhone3GS in the first place? -Jitters?

Similarly, I'd say Nokia did it right with MeeGo the first-time itself. All it needed was perseverance & steadfastness...

Polish?
To me, the N9 is already well-polished! It is a device like no other today... out of all the gray/black/steel combine. This might not be a revolutionary design - but it sure is a trend-setting device. We longed for such a superior form-factor... the last euphoria I had with a cellphone was with the iPhone3G... even the iPhone4 didn't put me in such an awe as the N9 did.

This one is a 'wholesome' eqpt. And OMG - what a looker! The Cameron Diaz of mobile phones !

Which is why I dumped my iPhone4 for the N9!

Qorax

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
I dumped my SGSII for mine.... & glad i did !!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:
Well my NOTE has the Exynos chip which uses smaller scale parts (nm) and because of that it is more efficient.

It has a 1.4GHz processor so this efficiency brings it close to 1GHz drain.

However it uses 2 cores, but since it can handle the load properly the strain on the battery is equivalent to a single core.

So there you have it, the NOTE uses 1GHz Cortex A8 power but delivers 1.4GHz Dualcore Cortex A9 performance. And since its (x1.7) battery is much larger (2,500mAh), its able to also last longer, herp derp troll thread

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
One major difference of the Note - it's TOO big. At above 5 inch, might as well get a 7 inch tablet. Unless of course you have large hands and large pockets. I even find the 4.3" S2 uncomfortable to hold and type.

Last edited by eaglehelang; 2011-12-22 at 06:46.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eaglehelang For This Useful Post:

Tags
depression, the elop flop