Feeling like taking part in a great moment of history. Really exciting.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Up to today everything is all on track and under control and same as planned. I am about to have my second visit in under a week to the factory. All team members are doing our absolute best for the product. Exciting times ahead!
Appreciate the update, even if it's just that everything is going well

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Note that the payment process at fxtec.com stumbles over NoScript's XSS filter, causing the web-page for entering the payment data not to load completely.

After switching this XSS filter off (e.g., in NoScript's Options -> Advanced), paying per credit card worked fine for me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
As the Pro1 seems to be advancing fine, with "first mass production batch" deliveries starting in the second half of September, I assume the remaining of 2019 will be used for preparing (production optimisations etc.) and producing the second mass production batch.

After that (and if all worked out well), in early 2020, there might be time for considering the next device by F(x)tec.
While it is easy to choose the route Planet Computers has taken, to slightly upgrade the existing design (exterior and interior) with the currently / meanwhile available high-end SoC (e.g. an SDM855 for a "Pro1+"), 1,5 times the RAM (what for?) and double the FLASH memory (again: what for, if the device has an SD-card slot?), I would rather like to see a true "Pro2" being slightly smaller and cheaper, while retaining the same basic design.

If this makes sense for F(x)tec (especially under commercial aspects), please consider Qualcomm's cheapest modern SoCs, which contain "big" cores (i.e., ARM A7x-based ones). Currently the SDM660 would constitute a good candidate. Pair it with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB FLASH memory (more is really superfluous; even 3 GB RAM is fully sufficient, but looks a bit "low-end" nowadays) and a ~ 5,2" display (an even smaller display makes the keyboard too small, when retaining its basic design from the Pro1; it also may be worth considering a classic 16:9 display over a 2:1 one to gain keyboard height) and the result would be the perfect "Pro2" for me.

Last edited by olf; 2019-08-25 at 18:39.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Haha, man I hear you olf. But come on man at least wait till this product is out :P

I want this too. But lets see how well this does first. Many company get screwed when they try to advance too quickly, and run out of money when first product sales slow down.

Plus with the trade & Brexit stuff going on, I'd rather they wait till they are stable ... and be around for 10 yrs ... vs 1 shipping and 1 promised product.

But I'm not dismissing your wishing, just trying to keep mine in perspective.

x

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by olf View Post
As the Pro1 seems to be advanced fine, with "first mass production batch" deliveries starting in the second half of September, I assume the remaining of 2019 will be used for preparing (production optimisations etc.) and producing the second mass production batch.

After that (and if all worked out well), in early 2020, there might be time for considering the next device by F(x)tec.
While it is easy to choose the route Planet Computers has taken, to slightly upgrade the existing design (exterior and interior) with the currently / meanwhile available high-end SoC (e.g. an SDM855 for a "Pro1+"), 1,5 times the RAM (what for?) and double the FLASH memory (again: what for, if the device has an SD-card slot?), I would rather like to see a true "Pro2" being slightly smaller and cheaper, while retaining the same basic design.

If this makes sense for F(x)tec (especially under commercial aspects), please consider Qualcomm's cheapest modern SoCs, which contain "big" cores (i.e., ARM A7x-based ones). Currently the SDM660 would constitute a good candidate. Pair it with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB FLASH memory (more is really superfluous; even 3 GB RAM is fully sufficient, but looks a bit "low-end" nowadays) and a ~ 5,2" display (an even smaller display makes the keyboard too small, when retaining its basic design from the Pro1; it also may be worth considering a classic 16:9 display over a 2:1 one to gain keyboard height) and the result would be the perfect "Pro2" for me.
+1
(even I would consider smaller does not need to be less, so CPU, RAM and storage might be same)
But did we not agree to wait to get Pro1 (commercially) successful?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
[...]
e. I doubt that a true "hardware kill switch" will work fine even for a separate modem, so I am really curious to see how these switches are implemented in the final schematics (of e.g. Librem and PinePhone) and / or to hear how well they works in practice.
For the Librem that has been clarified by Purism:
The kill switches of the Librem (for the cellular modem and WiFi chip; the cameras are not mentioned!) are located under the back cover and only to be toggled, when the device is completely off.
Hence this rather constitutes a permanent, but reversible hardware disablement, but nothing alike software switches for such components, which can be toggled any time.

While Librem's design is well feasible to engineer (in terms of hard- and software, if an external modem is utilised), it is hardly usable for disabling camera or modem temporarily.

Last edited by olf; 2019-08-29 at 13:09.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
+1
(even I would consider smaller does not need to be less, so CPU, RAM and storage might be same)
[...]
Well, that must be less to achieve a smaller size, less power (necessary due to a smaller battery) and costs.

Todays high-end smartphones come with yesterday's PC-specs (8 cores+, 8 GB RAM, hundreds of GB FLASH) to achieve phenomenal benchmark numbers. But as with PCs, a device with half of these resources is absolutely sufficient for all general tasks.
But there is a price to pay for these superfluous resources: Primarily parts costs and power (which in turn needs more space for proper cooling, a larger battery etc.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
as Chen mentioned that first production batch would not cover all preorders, first 2 batches will be for preordered units only. so if only 2 batches, nobody except preorders will be able to buy it. sounds like a story of motomod.
I am one of those who preordered motomod and as we know only a few of us got a keyboard mod, others had an option of refund or apply a discount of Pro1 in a later phase.

So if all preorders will receive a phone, that is more than the motomod project did.

As this project is completely in their hands, I hope they will push this project farther and finally the device will be available to wide public. I also hope there are enough devices ordered and it will enough for long-term survive of them.

However, later batches may take some time to be available but they said they are trying to lowering this time...

so it would be really useful to announce dates and prices for non-preordering customers (which is not done in the latest update - useless).
I am also hope they will announce dates and prices when it is possible and even sharing us if there is an ongoing process...

PC high-end configs are needed for games and some resource-hungry software (after effects etc). but high-end specs in phone are _completely_ useless, since there are no serious games for mobile nor any serious software. and yes, a toy doesn't need 8 gb RAM.
Yes, I don't feel it is necessary to play resource-hungry games on a device which is primarily a phone... The keyboard is a really big plus as I hate typing long texts on a touch screen not speaking about the space of virtual keyboards use. However, for terminal application, it makes the phone useful even for additional things.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
BTW guys, would you root your device in case of using android?
I may be totally wrong (as I have no experience and even less interest in being acquainted with how Android works, though I'm still somewhat curious), but the way I understand it: doesn't having an open bootloader mean there's no need to root the device ?

Or is it the OS that is getting rooted ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit