Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
Hi Community members,

This is my first thread on TMO and by no means its my first post.

I will directly get to the point now. (still it will be long post )

Background: It all started when Nokia announced the MeeGo and N9. I waited long for it and got it in June 2012. (It was not available in my country). Until 3rd June 2013 evening it was working perfectly fine and I was charging it by connecting it to my workstation in my office. (as usual).

Issue: I removed it from charging and unable to call any number. I tried rebooting few times and re-inserting the SIM again. No use. I tried reflashing it but it seems to be hardware error. Refer my posts here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87789&page=9

Symptoms: First of all Sim card not detected and network settings not available and as you can see from the above link that flashing is not successful as CMT is not re-written and giving hardware error.

Other symptoms: Phone heating quickly in the upper right corner (Sim Slot), Battery draining very quickly, phone screen go off(deep sleep mode), everything go slow (very slow at times) and at time it get hanged which require a reboot.

Whats working: As far as I able to test from general use, apart from the above mentioned things rest all is working fine. For e.g. camera, wifi, music player, bluetooth, NFC(assumed), speakers and every thing else of general use.

Queries: To repair it.
  • Is the hardware issue repairable?
  • Can I change the complete motherboard myself and will it resolve the issue?
  • Is motherboard available on sale?
  • Should I send it back to Australia for repairs as it is under warranty but courier charges are nearly 150 dollars.
  • What possible can be done with it?

Queries: To use it as it is now (bricked)
  • As it is still booting and can be used for some purposes I have few questions below.
  • How can I stop it from looking for the Sim card and network to stop the battery drainage and heating issue.
  • I can still mod it as I can use the developer mode but above issue is the prb. Any suggestions?
  • any other suggestions?

I loved my N9 but as its not usable as my main device. what next should be bought?

Can't wait for jolla and again it won't be available in my country so don't wanna risk it.

Any other good suggestions are most welcomed. Also I am in for all testing if its irreparable

I had a great time with this community. Its like my family but it seems like my journey will end with my beloved N9.

Thanks and Cheers.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kumary View Post
  • Is the hardware issue repairable?
I'd say it is fairly imposible to repair by yourself. You'd need to know what is the faulty part, and actually get the replacement from somewhere, and the tools to repair BGA chips are not that easily to be found.

• Can I change the complete motherboard myself and will it resolve the issue?
You propably could, but where would you get the replacement motherboard?

• Is motherboard available on sale?
I'm fairly sure you cannot find it anywhere for sale.

• Should I send it back to Australia for repairs as it is under warranty but courier charges are nearly 150 dollars.
That's the only real option. How come it's so expensive? I would have thought it'd be 50 bucks max.

• What possible can be done with it?
You could experiment with alternate OS'es, use it as a development device for new HW, whatever

Queries: To use it as it is now (bricked)
  • As it is still booting and can be used for some purposes I have few questions below.
  • How can I stop it from looking for the Sim card and network to stop the battery drainage and heating issue.
  • I can still mod it as I can use the developer mode but above issue is the prb. Any suggestions?
  • any other suggestions?
Are you sure it is heating up because it is trying to access the SIM?
I'd rather think there is something broken so that it causes a large leakage current thru a chip, and that is causing the heating.
If you knew the broken chip, and if you were in luck so you could identify the Vcc pins (and they were accessible, not under BGA...) then you could just cut off those pins and be done with it

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'd say it is fairly imposible to repair by yourself. You'd need to know what is the faulty part, and actually get the replacement from somewhere, and the tools to repair BGA chips are not that easily to be found.
Then its impossible for me.

You propably could, but where would you get the replacement motherboard?

I'm fairly sure you cannot find it anywhere for sale.
I tried to search the internet and its not available.

That's the only real option. How come it's so expensive? I would have thought it'd be 50 bucks max.
India to Australia and one side cost is 75 bucks which S***

You could experiment with alternate OS'es, use it as a development device for new HW, whatever
I will be doing that only I guess

Are you sure it is heating up because it is trying to access the SIM?
I'd rather think there is something broken so that it causes a large leakage current thru a chip, and that is causing the heating.
If you knew the broken chip, and if you were in luck so you could identify the Vcc pins (and they were accessible, not under BGA...) then you could just cut off those pins and be done with it
Doesn't sounds easy to do. Any means to confirm the issue?

By the way thanks for your response. I need to resolve the heating issues and lagging and hanging issues so that at least I can use it for developmental purpose.

Looking forward for the community members advice.

Cheers