Notices

if it works good I don't really care about how it looks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
QML was released late, and many developers prefer to use the GTK+ look of maemo 5.

There's been some good feedback from you guys i'm not a grahic designer or anything, but I would be interested in coding or the deign side, so if anyone could give me any tips or requires any help, i'd be happy to jump on board.

With more committed guys like you I think this phone still has a little life left in it.

Originally Posted by courtneyg View Post
There's been some good feedback from you guys i'm not a grahic designer or anything, but I would be interested in coding or the deign side, so if anyone could give me any tips or requires any help, i'd be happy to jump on board.

With more committed guys like you I think this phone still has a little life left in it.
More than a little, for me.

Since Nokia partnered with MS and has abandoned Meego, it seems the n900 might be the last real unix phone for some time.

I've already ordered a second one as a backup and can see myself settling in to this for the long haul (ie. 5 years).

I'm sure, at least on this board, I'm not alone.

Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
i've been a designer since 2001 and i remember that my first ever post here said that i am more than willing to help devs with asthetics. since then, nobody ever contacted me about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to shockgiga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
i've been a designer since 2001 and i remember that my first ever post here said that i am more than willing to help devs with asthetics. since then, nobody ever contacted me about it.
Maybe because it is easy to miss threads on here?

EDIT: AKA Be assertive with the apps that you use.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
Excellent! Sorry, I never saw that post of yours, but now that you've reposted, mind having a look at qgvdial?
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Originally Posted by courtneyg View Post
i just wondered why most of the apps created for the N900 are generally bland and usually just have a black background with a standard layout.
I guess its because emphasis is on delivering a solution, instead of selling a product. Once the functionality is in, there's no great incentive to keep polishing (no harsh competition between apps on this platform).

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
I guess its because emphasis is on delivering a solution, instead of selling a product. Once the functionality is in, there's no great incentive to keep polishing (no harsh competition between apps on this platform).
I do agree that there needs to be competition, however I don't see why it needs to be harsh.
For example, epage and I both create Google voice interfaces. We compete. We also help each other. It works out to more choices and better apps. The users win!
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hmmmm..
Because using your operating systemīs theme as app skin is something that is taught in every single UX-desinging class. Apps that seemingly go with main operating systems theme are regarded as something that every single devel should be encouraged to do :|

For more about this follow recent market speeches about windows mobile and how user canīt see where apps start and where OS ends.

I do not totally agree or like this but to me itīs something that seems to be something that most UI designers want.

Tags
bada rox, just shoot me