Active Topics

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
We love our mobile phones and the selection between different models has never been bigger. But the production of phones has a dark, bloody side.

The Documentary Blood in the Mobile shows the connection between our phones and the civil war in the Congo. Director Frank Poulsen travels to DR Congo to see the illegal mine industry with his own eyes. He gets access to Congo’s largest tin-mine, which is being controlled by different armed groups, and where children work for days in narrow mine tunnels to dig out the minerals that end up in our phones. After visiting the mine Frank Poulsen struggles to get to talk to Nokia, the Worlds largest phone company. Frank Poulsen wants them to guarantee that they are not buying conflict minerals and thereby is financing the war in the Congo. Nokia cannot give him that guarantee.
The war on Congo.... brought to you by Nokia.

Has anyone else heard of such claims as these or have watched this documentary film?

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
I haven't seen that documentary, but this rating by the Enough Project places Nokia among those companies that have taken the most steps to prevent minerals from conflict areas to be used in their devices:

http://www.raisehopeforcongo.org/con...mpany-rankings

Best wishes.

Misleading title?

I'm flattered