Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by toratoko View Post
Not sure if you've looked into Aldi Talk with medion mobile, supposedely, if I read it right, they allow you to have 5gb of bandwidth for 15€ for 30 days. Only requirement I believe is that you have to have the prepaid voice also activated and in use for that phone.
Sounds good. Does anyone have experience with the e-plus network concerning data rates? maybe especially in munich? They do not mention any limitations using VoIP. Any experience using that?

Originally Posted by draco.bdn
With O2o you get an Internet Flat for 8,50€. Maybe something for you?
I think that's the one i mentioned in my post, they just have a reduced price for a couple of days.

Originally Posted by brog
FYI: I just decided to not to extend my contract at o2 Germany.
Reasons:
1. Often poor UMTS/3G signal - you'll see people with Vodafone getting about as twice as much downloading speed as you do

2. 200mb data volume - I usually hit that mark on the ~20th of each billing period (would be much earlier if I didn't try to avoid traffic all the time, e.g. asking a friend if he could quickly look sth. up on google so I would not have to do it).

3. I was able to get a much better price at Vodafone:
For 29,95€ per month they offered me:
Unlimited calls to Vodafone + German landline
Unlimited texts to Vodafone
Unlimited calls (for 12 months) to a german provider of my choice
UMTS Flatrate 5gb (after hitting 5gb -> GPRS)
40 texts to any provider

+ They do not care if you use skype and/or tethering with your mobile phone. Friend of mine uses skype all day and didn't receive anything asking him for some extra money due to the usage of voip.

I hope my post was helpful.
Sounds like 200 mb is really nothing. I will check vodafone.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I've a employees contract from T-Mobile. That's basically a Combi Flat M with mobile-phone but for 19,95€ per month (instead of 59,95€ per month). That's Data-Flat, Festnetz-Flat, D1-Netz-Flat (Calls/SMS/MMS), T-Mobile-Hotspot-Flat.
0,203€ per call to other networks (0,29€ - 30% Rebate) and 0,133€ per SMS to other networks (0,19€ - 30% Rebate).
So if you know someone who works at T-Mobile you can ask him to get that contract for you.
i think i will get a contract like this one.. t-mobile is the best provider i think an most important, t-mobile has the best coverage (had so many problems with that on Vodafone)

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
No, I didn't see an option for phone calls with the stick. But you can use the sim card with your phone so you share your connection over bluetooth (works fine for my N800 and my netbook) and use your phone for calls.
I just checked and you can have the same dataplan (unlimited for 20€, speed reduction after 5gb) in combination with any tschibo prepaid card.

It depends where you are and how much you want to use. Where I am in Bonn, 02 offers HSPA which means fonic and Alice are a great deal depending if ou want to go daily or monthly. Alice offers a month-by-month flat for 20 Euros.

If you can bear going HTTP only via a proxy, Vodafone offers their flat for 10 Euros per month. I've been using this for 2 years now and never hit a limit.

On Vodafone and T-mobile, expect to pay 30-35 Euro for the 5GB open, high-quality internet connection.

I am likely to take a Vodfafone voice+data contract next year again but at the moment I can't find a data-centric plan. I rarely use voice and SMS so these flat-rate deals are usually poor for me!

Some test results in Bonn.
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/06/3g...-vs-x70-vs-s5/

The Following User Says Thank You to chippy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by schnebeck View Post
If you want to combine voice and data option for one sim card you have 3G limits of 300MB per month and connection drops to 64kbit if you reach that limit.
So, if you want to listen internet radio 64kbit is not enough and 300MB volume is nothing, if I check my imap account regularly 300MB is also nothing. And *I think* if you use the big 3G dataplan option (5 GB/month) you can not combine this with a multisim option, for what reasons ever.
T-Mobile Netherlands does something similar. Quoting Data plans entry on wiki:

FUP (after 2 GB 384/64)
Please, if you have accurate information about such add it on wiki's Data plans entry.

I wouldn't call OpenVPN a proxy btw. Proxies run on layer 5 or layer 7, are configured in client, often run by 3rd parties, often not encrypted or authenticated, and serve entirely different purposes such as caching data. What you use OpenVPN for is tunneling data encrypted between you and tunnel endpoint which is also your gateway, and all this happens on layer 2 (TAP) or layer 3 (TUN) instead making it much easier to run transparently. FWIW, IPsec runs on layer 3, and doesn't use UDP to establish tunnel (layer 4) but is easy to detect. Why is this important? For one, privacy. Also, packet mangling and QoS. Telcos will start to use these methods more often.

And something really odd is that on Vodafone NL when I tether to my phone with proxy set, and I used my laptop's browser for surfing, I could not use my phone's browser anymore. It'd require me to fill in a username/password. This would continue for approx a day. Unsetting the proxy solves the problem, but I think the proxy does increase the speed of browsing.

Looking at 1&1 you can get Vodaphone-net + 3G 1GB/month reduced to EDGE(!) as part of their all-in-one offer
http://pocketweb.1und1.de/common/pdf...rnetTarife.pdf.
But Vodaphone has no good multisim option - if you want/need one.
Vodafone, and Vodafone cares more about what you use your connection for in the sense that they don't allow VoIP and tethering by contract. Especially in Germany. T-Mobile is known to be more lax in this regard but cap heavy users.

In NL, Vodafone provides faster speed than T-Mobile, but FUP is 10x average usage whereas average usage is unclear. Vodafone (and KPN) also have better 3G network. These are also factors to take into account!

(Note to self: multisim = multi SIM)

When using the N900 can I change easily between EDGE and UMTS if I have two APNs?
You'd lose your current connections.

Question is also whether N900 supports multiple APNs. Not sure if it does. See the MMS thread for some discussion on this.

Originally Posted by chippy View Post
If you can bear going HTTP only via a proxy, Vodafone offers their flat for 10 Euros per month. I've been using this for 2 years now and never hit a limit.
What exactly do you mean by going HTTP only via proxy?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by kore View Post
What exactly do you mean by going HTTP only via proxy?
That you cannot disable the proxy because then it won't work.

Following 2 common setups:
  • Data from your IP isn't routed far enough to get Internet access, but using the proxy gets you 'on the web'.
  • Or that its a transparent proxy being fed dport 80, 443, and/or layer7 filtered HTTP data.

Both of these setups is easy, and common (1st method accompanied by lack of NAT), but IMO not necessary to enforce in current quality infrastructures anno 2009.

However, its up to them, and sometimes 'web' does not equal 'Internet access'.

There are ways to get around such pathetic filtering though. Example: httptunnel.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-11-09 at 01:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Does anyone else have a good idea or suggestions concerning this matter?

Cheers
kore

Hi Kore,

If you'e planning on using VoIP (Skype/SIP) services on your N900, it's worth noting that o2 are the only German network operator not blocking the ports

http://www.gomonews.com/dont-mention...ens-its-doors/

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Does anyone have experience with the e-plus network concerning data rates? maybe especially in munich? They do not mention any limitations using VoIP. Any experience using that?
E-Plus itself says no VoIP, not on Phone Flat and not on Notebook Flat.
I just talked to customer support from e-plus, was a call back for a longer email I sent: he stated that there is nothing new on the internals about VoIP at the moment but EDGE implementations will finish 80% till new year (gives 512kb/s), HDSPA is available in huge cities, airports and train stations, further expanding!
250MB volume till GPRS traffic restriction (54Kb/s) with a 10eur Internet Phone Flat and 5GB with 17eur Internet Laptop Flat.

Actually when I start to think what I need... nearly everywhere (with FON you join a world of free wifi) I get wifi access where I would need a fast connection, for VoIP? not really, my land-line is VoIP and if I am in need to call someone its most of the time his/her mobile (so I use my mobile as it's cheaper), for people calling me?! well still have the mobile and my voip phone got an answer machine. when I get connected to wifi my n900 will ring on a land-line-call... what else?
skype? well skype is the second IM-VOIP service I would get rid of after ICQ. but get average john to use SIP, IRC and Jabber...

BTW: I got 3 vouchers for 333free minutes at sipgate.de

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist
BTW: I got 3 vouchers for 333free minutes at sipgate.de
If you have a spare voucher, i would happily take one off your hands