Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Is this a problem solely affecting black N9s, or have I got this fun and games to look forward to on my cyan one? Do the cyan and magenta N9s also have some kind of paint finish? I just looked really hard at mine and I don't think so, but I'm about as expert as a goldfish brain surgeon.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Your device is fake. The body is not made of polycarbonate and the SIM latch is not made of ordinary "Nokia quality" plastic. That's my best guess so far.

I have to agree with you.

Here are some infos:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9040027AAiztmA

http://i-like-nokia-n9.blogspot.com/...nibody.html#!/

http://www.whistleout.com.au/blog/no...ones-announced

http://mobilegeekbd.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/n9/

the polycarbonate is colored rather than painted leaving no room for peeling paint

Last edited by ENNINE; 2012-03-05 at 21:46.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by ENNINE View Post
I have to agree with you.
It will be hilarious next month when yours starts to peel...

The polycarbonate is colored rather than painted leaving no room for peeling paint, so...

Mine is black, 4 months old, without case and still like new.

I know NOTHING about painting and plastics, I am more of the ITer and do not even own an N9, but is it really impossible than to give the matte look nokia used grey PC and sprayed it with black matte paint that might peel off under sweat or whatnot?? Otherwise there is no other possible explanation unless, parafrasing Valve's Portal, "The polycarbonate is a lie!"

EDIT: This actually is exactly the same that happened to the back matte part of my old N95 8GB, lets see if I can find a picture.

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2012-03-05 at 22:15.

My N9 is Made in Finland.
Sent to me directly from Nokia.

It is now 6 months old and has started peeling on the USB port.

Note: I have never used a case.

Perhaps if someone could post a few proper close-up pictures, that would help to solve the mystery and settle the argument. Use a real camera (not a phone cam) with a macro function, shoot from the right angle with good lighting for a crisp, zoomed-in picture of the damaged areas so we can see if it's peeling or just grey underneath.

Nokia did make a big deal about the N9 being thoroughly colored polycarbonate, so I'd be very surprised if that turned out not true. Is there a matte paint layer on top of the black PC? I don't know, but a good picture might help to tell.

That said, I'd also not put it beyond some companies in China to get spare part interiors, couple them with knock-off housings and sell them as genuine N9s. Especially when it's all overseas customers who can't go after the company.

Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post

EDIT: This actually is exactly the same that happened to the back matte part of my old N95 8GB, lets see if I can find a picture.

I know what you're talking about but no, it's not the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to ENNINE For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ENNINE View Post
I know what you're talking about but no, it's not the same.
Otherwise the whole discussion would not have gotten so far

I saw some N95s with that problem, and it looks like this: