^Problem is that my NOTE has the same resolution as lets say the SG Tab. The tablet optimized App will fit pixel-for-pixel perfectly on my phone, but the ui elements would be too small and cramped.

The same goes the other way around. Something optimized for the NOTE will be pixel-for-pixel fitted into the SG Tab, but all the ui elements would be stretched and the potential of the extra space will be wasted.

That's why Android uses a dpi solution. Problem is, the whole thing is made into one mega package (.apk) so that after its downloaded, the Android Installer chooses the right configuration. This wastes storage, internet download/server traffic and is a "messy" situation. But it works.

The reason there's a lot of problems with this is because its completely reliant on the developers to put in the effort and "re-write" their app so that it supports other dpi's. And the reason developers haven't put in the effort is easy: there's no incentive. Google needs to start placing tags (HD ?) to signify its available for tablets. And Google probably should allow the developers to create the differed dpi Apps in separate .apk's but launched them under one title. So if I searched for "Temple Run" I would only get one result, and in the information panel it would clearly show the App is available for tablets. Next part, Google Market (Play ?) should automatically detect which (dpi) version is necessary for the device you are downloading it to, and it should fetch the correct version for you...keeping the download rates smaller, less stress on the server, quicker installation, and a lot smoother experience. This makes the problem reliant on Google, meaning developers won't hesitate as much.

For iOS it doesn't matter as much, since Apple has strict regulations anyways, and the developers don't expect much flexibility. Apple has streamlined their developer kits aimed at the iPhone and iPad independently, but sharing everything in common. Apple's created a new ecosystem, and alot of incentive for developers to target the iPad. Google should copy Apple's business model in terms of this.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
In general, except for a very few exceptions, all phone apps render perfectly in the Galaxy Note. Don't worry about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
how crap is the android store for finding tablet optimised apps, they have a little stinky"staff picks for tablets" section but nothing proper so no way of knowing if an app is stretched to fit or optimised properly.
If anyone as any suggestions for me of good tablet apps please drop a reply in here or PM.

cheers guys
Maybe these will help?
http://play.google.com/store/apps/co...ablet_featured

There's also this 'Tablified Market HD' (free and Pro versions) you could try out:
http://www.starkinsider.com/2012/03/...id-tablet.html
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
how crap is the android store for finding tablet optimised apps, they have a little stinky"staff picks for tablets" section but nothing proper so no way of knowing if an app is stretched to fit or optimised properly.
If anyone as any suggestions for me of good tablet apps please drop a reply in here or PM.

cheers guys
App situation as a whole was beyond funny on my transformer back when i bought it.
Got myself ipad 2 back then and haven't looked back. User experience, apps and speed are couple of levels above.

It doesn't get bloated either like so far my Transformer and GS2. Android really needs to work on the smoothness still and user experience before i try them again.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-03-29 at 05:48.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
And I wish the ICS navi-buttons would be permanently fixed on the screen. Sometimes your playing an app and it disappears, you want to open another app but the only way to escape is to hit the sleep and wake the device. Happened to me a couple times too much, and its annoying as fvck, it proves Android has no multitasking ability. And getting rid of the Menu button was the biggest mistake Google has made in the last 2 years, its a disaster by a design and a functionality standpoint
Thanks for this piece of information. I'd been debating about a Galaxy Nexus, but the lack of expandable memory was making me hesitate. The fact that I might lose the ability to easily change between applications (already one of Android's biggest drawbacks) makes it that much easier to cross the Nexus off the lists of possible choices.

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Thanks for this piece of information. I'd been debating about a Galaxy Nexus, but the lack of expandable memory was making me hesitate. The fact that I might lose the ability to easily change between applications (already one of Android's biggest drawbacks) makes it that much easier to cross the Nexus off the lists of possible choices.
This does bug me about android. And it makes me appreciate multitasking on Maemo/Meego so much. But the Galaxy Nexus is still the android device that I currently want. Even over the HTC One X. I'm happy with my N9, but still debating on picking up a GN.

After 3 months deliberating between the Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy Note I finally decided to go for the Transformer Prime. Should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I was in the extremely difficult situation deciding position because I already have the original (7 inch) Galaxy Tab so have a device smack in the middle of a 5.3 inch phablet and a 10 inch tablet so won't have really felt the full benefit of either.

Add to that the fact that getting an android device is already an incredibly tough decision cause you know no matter what you get you know that something better would be coming out just around the corner. Waited till MWC to see if Samsung would have a tablet that would beat the Transformer Prime but they didn't. Also already know that there is a higher resolution Prime coming out sometime soon.

In the end decided would be better to wait to see if I prefer the Galaxy SIII to the Note than wait to see if any 10 inch tablet comes out which I prefer to the Transformer Prime (besides the higher resolution version). For now I will keep using my N900 as my phone though I don't use it for anything besides calls as my Galaxy Tab does everything I was using the N900 for and much more.

SGS III would only be a evolutionary step-up from the NOTE. Besides a 5.3in screen is way better than a 4.6in screen, if you are man enough to handle it

The tab you were reffering to is the ASUS Transformer Prime Infinity....comes with a better screen to match the iPad3, (higher clocked?) Tegra 3 and (thinner profile ?).

The ASUS would be obsolete in 6 months.
There's no alternative to the NOTE, maybe in another 9 months.

After using the NOTE combined with my Ultrabook...there's simply no room for a tablet in my life, maybe if the tablet could dock and run Windows/Linux.

I'm flattered

User experience is Android's only flaw...can't wait for that to be sorted

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
User experience is Android's only flaw...can't wait for that to be sorted
You could be a bit more specific. ...or could it be?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy