Active Topics

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Älä hakkaa View Post
You know, Arch means anus in German
No it doesn't - that would be 'Arsch', which in English also means 'butt'. 'Anus' is the same in both languages. 'Arch' OTOH translates to 'Bogen' or even 'Bogengewölbe' (both in architectural context).
(...na gut, was erwartet man? Leute aus Leipzig sprachen eh schon immer einen Dialekt, noch schlimmer als Chemnitzer, und falsch oft dazu :P )

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-06-22 at 16:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
A kernal with working hardwares is preffered
as as about the own repo is considerd its 100percent practical approach to unleash the available protential but keep in mind that would require additional maintanence but would be fine enough as you stated we can also use the official repos so no problems . we could have a fair amount of useful packages in our repo that be customised for our devices
overall this project is all about useability and the thoughts by op focus on that

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Leipzig
When Commodore released its VIC-20 they had to rename it VC-20 in german countries. Guess why! You can't twist it. It's a really bad name and a misnomer. And now back to work, rats! We're not here for philosophers' football.

The Following User Says Thank You to Älä hakkaa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
I did a new rootfs last night, haven't got time to test it out. If someone is willing to do that, give me a shout.

If someone has problems with the filesystem update, move your /usr/sbin to somewhere else, do the filesystem upgrade and move its contents there. I fixed n900-integration for new fs hierarchy, and will do the rest of the packages asap.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
If we think about the compiler options used, in practice we would be optimizing for cortex-a8 with neon and thumb2. This would be a benefit for other similar devices too.
From the debian wiki:
Code:
NEON

NEON is an extension of the VFP which allows for very efficient manipulation of matrices, and vector data in general. This is notably useful for processing audio and video data, or for fast memcpy().

Programs usually take advantage of NEON thanks to hand-crafted assembly routines. GCC can automatically vectorize code and generate NEON instructions, however this tends to have limited success. It would seem sensible NOT to require NEON in a new port since some modern ARMv7 SoCs such as Marvell Dove and NVidia Tegra2 don't implement it.

It is also possible to use NEON instructions for regular scalar floating point code, and this can give significant (2-3x) speedup on Cortex-A8 hardware. However GCC does not currently implement this, and it is not always applicable as NEON instructions are not fully IEEE compliant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Damn, I wish I had read this thread more often

As I said before: Currently I don't really have time at all sadly, but this will change when my exams are over

Sadly my N900 got damaged by rain Unless a software flash will fix it (because it still shows the NOKIA logo at boot), it is lost. But the good news is, that you can get one for ~70€ at ebay nowadays. My plan is to buy two and use one with maemo daily and have one with arch linux to play with So hopefully I'll have enough time then to write pkgbuilds/software/whatever

In the meantime, I've also thought of creating an arch linux spin-off just for the N900 with maybe wayland if it works and stuff, and today I read the same ideas in this thread, what the hell

I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet, but the following stuff sounds very awesome (these are not my ideas):
- create a spin-off with maximum optimizations and an own repo
- provide both the 2.6.x kernel and the bleeding edge one
- sync the repos monthly or something with the arch repos except for security updates
- first, concentrate on getting a working system with features needed to have a working phone (contacts application, make calls, write SMS at least)

stuff I'd like to see / will focus on when i actually contribute something:
- support for proper encryption - I'd like to see at least home encrypted, but better the whole root device (except if the performance breaks down too much). maemo with encrypted home (and swap) didn't have any speed impact as far as I tested
- support for OTR and PGP in chat / mail programs
- lightweight C programs that don't fill up the RAM and which get the most of the performance, try to avoid python and other script languages in the recommended core packages, except for bash where it makes sense
- maybe replacing systemd with another (more simple, more like the classic arch) init system will have benefits? (its simpler, maybe more speed, maybe less RAM usage)
- provide one interface, that is mostly like the one from maemo (but with less dependencies if possible, has all the key features like phone book, make calls), but from the basic 'installation', make it like arch linux: you just have a terminal and can install whatever you want so people could use tiling wms etc
- don't make GUIs for stuff that works file with CLI: file manager, text editor, ...

have you thought about a name for your spin-off? I recommend over900

I really wish I had more time right now / the next weeks to read more, what's going on here. But I hope this post is somewhat useful

keep on hacking everyone

Last edited by robotanarchy; 2013-06-27 at 17:36.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robotanarchy For This Useful Post:
@robotanarchy

I like your post, especially the part for lightweight C programs and contributing. I think I'll keep the alarm-n900 name. I'll be concentrating only on core functionality though, so obviously getting some call/sms guis etc require some group effort.

EDIT: Will upload the rootfs tomorrow

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
alarm-n900-201306-rootfs.tar.gz

Only boot/login tested.

I got some udev/mcbsp error I haven't got before. If someone could test it more thoroughly I'd appreciate it. From the results of that testing, 201307 or 08 will be created, which will probably be the last release before going to the planned new way.

So any thoughts about that are still needed and very welcome from everyone.

Last edited by Skry; 2020-07-01 at 02:34.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Leipzig
Another piece of wire: ftp://bokmal.de/alarm-n900/alarm-n90...-rootfs.tar.gz

Go get it! Gold is at the end!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Älä hakkaa For This Useful Post: