Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Hello,

just to let you know, some people from the OpenPandora community are in the process of designing a successor device called "Pyra". [1]

One of them is Nikolaus Schaller who's also involved in the Neo900 design and since the OpenPandora people don't seem to have a problem with mentioning the potentially competing Neo900 I guess it's only fair to make the Maemo folks aware of the Pyra project as well.

Here's a presentation video recorded at the FOSDEM last weekend. [2]

[1] http://pyra-handheld.com
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T-w1KqrVsM

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
just to let you know, some people from the OpenPandora community are in the process of designing a successor device called "Pyra". [1]
Optional 3G/UMTS and GPS module*

Thats for data right, not voice? They should make that clear.

Good specs. I wonder @ the target price bracket? Judging by the current device (ca. 500 euro) they will be in the neo900 range.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
At about 20 minutes (might be off by 2 minutes) in the video it is said that the modem module should also work for voice. It's not mentioned though if this means GSM telephony or some VOIP solution.

Afaik there's no price estimate yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Hey, that's weird. I was just thinking earlier today that maybe the Pyra should get some linking over here, seeing as the Neo900 often gets mentioned in the OpenPandora community.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
It's not mentioned though if this means GSM telephony or some VOIP solution.
Ah, thanks for that. If it's a data link modem then voip should be available as a matter of course, unless ISP blocked, so by mentioning voice one would think they mean GSM, or not?

Last edited by handaxe; 2014-02-05 at 14:45. Reason: I meant "not" not "sot" :)

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
so by mentioning voice one would think they mean GSM, or not?
I'm not sure if the presenter actually "mentioned" voice. All I know is that someone in the audience asked a question about the 3G/UMTS option and the presenter put his Pandora on his ear and said something like "Yes, it will be possible, but it would look funny."

Of course, since the guy in the audience had no microphone it was almost impossible to understand him* and unfortunately I was kind of distracted at that very moment.

I think there's some info in this forum thread [1], but afair it isn't made clear there either.
I could play some forums ping pong to find that out since I have contact with an openpandora.org community member via another forum but I guess there are shorter ways to do that (@Eztran?).

*) A kind request to everyone creating recordings of events like these, please include subtitles if there are any comments from the audience!

[1] http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/...d-old-members/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
OMAP5430,huh? Finally a new device to show my OMAP love...Maybe for the last time..

The Following User Says Thank You to hyno111 For This Useful Post:
This seems interesting In my 2014 list

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
The module certainly supports voice calls (now, where have I seen the PLS-8 before... )

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Eztran View Post
The module certainly supports voice calls (now, where have I seen the PLS-8 before... )
To clarify on the above: "And yes, we will buy the "voice" license (it is more a patent issue than a technical) to have voice calls through headset or bluetooth. It is not planned to have a phone earpiece (placing the Pyra to your ear)."

That rather gives the neo900 breathing room IMO, that and the fact that fremantle has reasonable telephony / sms integration at the ui level, something I doubt would be quite as good on the Pyra.

Tags
convergent pda, smartphone