Notices

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Meppen, Germany
After I installed PreEnv and played around with some games I am just asking myself (and you ) - any chance to run the "normal" WebOS Apps? Like the Contacts App from Pre or something? I really like some of these Apps

Or completely port WebOS to N900?

Thanks

Robin

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
The "Normal" webOS apps are written under the WebOS Mojo Software Developer Kit (SDK) and utilize some very specific and closed libraries not available on Maemo.

WebOS games, however, are written the WebOS Native Developer Kit (NDK) and utilize only open GLES protocols and libraries to execute on the WebOS hardware.

Since the N900 shares almost all of the same GPU hardware as the WebOS phones and both run true linux (unlike Android), we are able to use a lightweight application like PreEnv to bridge the small remaining gap in our phone environments to allow use to run the WebOS games naively.

Long story short: We can run WebOS games or apps written under their NDK, but we have no chance of running Mojo apps written under their SDK.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Too bad But Thanks for Info =)

Another question; Any Way to get Super Jump for N900?
Or Doodle Jump (dont like nitdroid though) ? Damn, Myriad should release their F**ing Alien Dalvik

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Have you tried BounceBounce?

Basically the same.

yeah, dont like that ;D will try some PS1 and WebOS Apps tomorrow ;D
Then I have some great games and everything works as it should=)

Another question [Off Topic];

I have installed RDesktop but when I try to play a sound file on the PC it doesnt work "No sound card installed" - when I try to open it locally, everything works fine - any solution?

Thanks

Originally Posted by mautz001 View Post
yeah, dont like that ;D will try some PS1 and WebOS Apps tomorrow ;D
Then I have some great games and everything works as it should=)

Another question [Off Topic];

I have installed RDesktop but when I try to play a sound file on the PC it doesnt work "No sound card installed" - when I try to open it locally, everything works fine - any solution?

Thanks
The Rdesktop protocol is supposed to support audio. However, many linux Rdesktop client users have trouble with it. Usually the remote linux based viewers aren't recognized as having the correct "driver" for remote audio playback.

The rdesktop sourceforge page has several open feature requests to support more audio types:

http://sourceforge.net/search/?group...66&words=audio

It looks like another casualty of an open system (linux) trying to work with a closed one (M$).

is alien dalvik really worthful or is it just a crap? when will it release?

Originally Posted by rasik_35 View Post
is alien dalvik really worthful or is it just a crap? when will it release?
It's worthwhile alright. In demonstrations, it shows to run Dalvik (non NDK apps) applications on the N900 with 100% of the speed seen running the same apps on high end Android phones.

There's already an iteration of this concept available on the QNX based Blackberry Playbook tablet:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/22/a...erry-playbook/

When will it release? Good question. It's been done forever now, but it seems like the developer is waiting until he/she can get the most money for it by releasing it in a controlled fashion on a phone with a large install base.

That controlled fashion was supposed to be the Ovi store and that phone was supposed to be the N9.

Now that the Ovi store is not long for this world, we're unlikely to see much more development in it's purchasing mechanism from Nokia so I wouldn't be surprised if the developer of Alien Dalvik is having cold feet about releasing. He doesn't want to be like Roxio, who had huge problems with unpaid downloads of the Angry Bird for the N900 when it was first released to the Ovi store before Ovi locked out unauthenticated access to it's paid content repositories.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the developer of Alien Dalvik is having cold feet about releasing for the N9 since Nokia's public stance on killing off Meego will no doubt hurt the potential installed base of that phone.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Alien Dalvik never comes out and the developer instead holds on to the source code to release this product for different, more vendor supported platforms.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
how stable is the currently available android platform for n900?

Originally Posted by rasik_35 View Post
how stable is the currently available android platform for n900?
You mean NITDroid? It's not really a platform as it is a completely separate stock Android distribution tailored to run on the N900 hardware.

The NITDroid installer merely makes it easy to install the Android OS image and gives you a mechanism to dual boot your N900 into either Android or Maemo. However, the two environments are segregated and never contact each other.

As far as stability, it's just fine although installing an OS image to your SD card and installing a boot loader should not be taken lightly even if the install is highly automated.

As far as compatibility with the N900 hardware, the NITDroid team is making more progress every day, although I don't know anyone who runs Android on their N900 for daily use yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post: