Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Already started here, but I thought this could derail the patch thread (even I think it is related to one of the patches; possibly).

Dumb Jolla (or me )!

I updated device to latest äkaälöülëiöäkä version 1.1.4.29. All fine. Had all patches disabled.
Updated all available SW/patches after successful upgrade.
Then a few days later I decided to activate the patches again. Did it all-in-one step. Went through all installed patches and tried to apply (some did not work but that was/is known).
Restarted lipstick and ...
BAM
An empty screen (with just the wallpaper) looked at me.
Nothing works, no apps, no up-down-side swiping, no notification screen. The display stays empty all the time. Only the lock when swiping from top works (shows the lock icon). Furthermore the coderus lockscreen on power button works with displaying selections (and selected app -torch- starts but wothout screen). That's it.

Unfortunately it seems that the upgrade changed the root password? As I cannot ssh into the device (do I have to use root or or user or what account?). Even it worked I had no idea what to check else disabling ausmt.

Any hints?

--
already tried
ssh user@jolla.mydomain
ssh root@jolla.mydomain

also recovery mode seems to be brokem
when holding vol+ and power button it "cries"/vibrates a few seconds
when holding vol- and power button it powers up the Jolla logo and the white LED is on, but it does not go any further. I have to pull battery, nothing else works!
(battery was quite down, charging now)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-05-09 at 14:56. Reason: solved

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
first of all root password is not set on jolla by default, nemo password is set in developermode settings. and of course nobody is changing your passwords.

Then check Jolla Care article about using Recovery Mode: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...Recovery-Mode-

Best option will be ssh via wifi to device and reinstalling homescreen packages. Using recovery for this a much harder.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Was going to edit my first post, as I just realized that (what coderus mentioned above).
recovery mode: just read the article to the end and remembered about using putty/telnet (forgot that on-Jolla-screen is only logo)
nemo is the user to connect with ssh (checked: working)

Going to fix soon...

Was there not a post of you (coderus) where you explained how to disable all patches from command line?
Do you know which packages by name I should try. In which order?
TIA

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Solved!

It was enough to do
pkcon install lipstick-jolla-home-qt5
from ssh console (log in as nemo) and after devel-su.

Found the hint from coderus post. this one should really be made sticky / wikified!
big THANK you (the Jolla would not be fun at all without you around! )

Why would that one be more problematic using recovery mode?

--
ofc need to check which patch is still working or which one was the culprit. later .....

--
needed to do the full command linked above as two patches did not want to uninstall (Battery StatusBar on Lockscreen and Eventsview controls patch with settings)

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-05-09 at 19:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@peterleinchen, so you just slammed in a bunch of patches, all/some probably not updated to be used with Äijänpäivänjärvi?

No wonder you got into a bit of trouble

In every release the QML's change so that patches just don't apply, you have to manually edit the bits that don't match. Else you'll get into fair lot of trouble...
I myself don't even use any patch manager, I just review the bits manually before applying anything.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post

Why would that one be more problematic using recovery mode?

I guess you'd have to chroot into the Sailfish OS to re-install the damaged packages?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Installing packages in chroot is not a problem, getting internet working in chroot is harder.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Installing packages in chroot is not a problem, getting internet working in chroot is harder.
Isnt it as simple as

Code:
mount --bind /etc/resolv.conf /path/to/chrott/etc/resolv.conf
Before chroot'ing .....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
@peterleinchen, so you just slammed in a bunch of patches, ...
In every release the QML's change so that patches just don't apply, you have to manually edit the bits that don't match.
I 'guess' a patch can only be applied when the original bits match! So if there was no change in original files between the revisions, there should not be a problem (it might but ...), right?
I think I fetched just all patches I had and tried to aplly. Some did. Some not (as earlier with other OS revisions). No prob so far.

I think the one to blame is zetas 'voice call notification'.
But only in confunction with some other applied patch. As I tried once more one-by-one and that one crashed my UI. But when applying only that one everything seems fine.

So I will leave that out and apply all other once more.
Remark: I do not have a SIM in that device (so I really do not need that one ).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I 'guess' a patch can only be applied when the original bits match! So if there was no change in original files between the revisions, there should not be a problem (it might but ...), right?
I think I fetched just all patches I had and tried to aplly. Some did. Some not (as earlier with other OS revisions). No prob so far.
When patching multiple files, patches may apply cleanly to some and not ot others, so you end up in situation where couple of QML's are patched and couple are not... -> bang