Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Further on testing the gps, I remind folk of the tool location-test-gui.

I do not know about the differences if any between versions in the repo folder.

Tool allows to test 4 location methods (see README available from gui dropdown), assuming that both gps and agps are enabled under settings:

CWP- country / cellular base positioning
ACWP - the above using external location server.
GNSS - standalone GPS
AGNSS - assisted GPS using external location server.

Should settle once and for all what is or is not working.

For me, supl.google.com is not working. This tool shows that fact and so does cellnet-info. The latter identifies my location but the area and lat/longsare wrong. I guess cellnet-info uses whatever server is entered under settings rather than some independant database via the internet.

So, is there anyone with supl.google.com working under location-test-gui? If so, what country? Are there any open supl servers working? If so, what country?

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
I have been using location-test-gui all this time. believe me.. supl.google.com doesn't work for anyone, not even DfLo1913 a few posts before.

If you want to see the full reason, turn on location-test-gui, and also check syslog. location-test-gui clearly shows that supl.google.com closes the connection as soon as it is established.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post

For me, supl.google.com is not working. This tool shows that fact and so does cellnet-info. The latter identifies my location but the area and lat/longsare wrong. I guess cellnet-info uses whatever server is entered under settings rather than some independant database via the internet.
Cellnet-info does not use an AGPS Server like supl.google.com. It finds the location by searching the coordinates of the celltower on OpenCellID (which is an independent database). This coordinates are then used to find a postal address on maps.googleapis.com. This works fine on my devices, tested in various countries. If the data is not accurate, I presume the data on OpenCellID has to be blamed

If we are talking about getting gps locks itself: I am also having a lot of trouble with that lately.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Texas
Originally Posted by qhubekela View Post
I have been using location-test-gui all this time. believe me.. supl.google.com doesn't work for anyone, not even DfLo1913 a few posts before.

If you want to see the full reason, turn on location-test-gui, and also check syslog. location-test-gui clearly shows that supl.google.com closes the connection as soon as it is established.
Right now I have my GPS on and its locked in on me. I have supl.google.com in the settings.

Last edited by DfLo1913; 2013-08-07 at 22:39.

Originally Posted by DfLo1913 View Post
Right now I have my GPS on and its locked in on me. I have supl.google.com in the settings.
Luckily, a lock will happen eventually even if the supl server fails. The point of agps is enhanced lock speed. Does your gps get a fix in ca. 30 secs? Prolly not.

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Luckily, a lock will happen eventually even if the supl server fails. The point of agps is enhanced lock speed. Does your gps get a fix in ca. 30 secs? Prolly not.
Nope. I never said it did. Should rename this thread to AGPS not working then.

Last edited by DfLo1913; 2013-08-07 at 22:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to DfLo1913 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Right now I have my GPS on and its locked in on me. I have supl.google.com in the settings. Dont speak on my behalf.
Right now I switched off the engine of my aircraft. But I am still flying! How comes?

Cmon. Check it out correctly as suggested by handaxe. And do not speak (nonsense) on your behalf.

A GPS lock does not say AGPS is working! The GPS may get a lock on its own. Especially if there has not been a long time or distance between a previous lock.

supl.nokia.com is NOT working since long time
supl.google.com is NOT working anymore
supl.vodafone.com is NOT working on N900 ( whereas it may work on N9 )

Next guess I have is the certificates are not read from cert store, but that Nokia has hard-coded them in the closed binary blob. That would mean we will never get a solution (or someone will disassemble and put new certs or make it read from cert store). Again, just a guess...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Right now I switched off the engine of my aircraft. But I am still flying! How comes?

Cmon. Check it out correctly as suggested by handaxe. And do not speak (nonsense) on your behalf.

A GPS lock does not say AGPS is working! The GPS may get a lock on its own. Especially if there has not been a long time or distance between a previous lock.

supl.nokia.com is NOT working since long time
supl.google.com is NOT working anymore
supl.vodafone.com is NOT working on N900 ( whereas it may work on N9 )

Next guess I have is the certificates are not read from cert store, but that Nokia has hard-coded them in the closed binary blob. That would mean we will never get a solution (or someone will disassemble and put new certs or make it read from cert store). Again, just a guess...
Need to rename this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DfLo1913 For This Useful Post:
Need to rename this thread.
Yes you are right it is misleading.

Is the ssl version suggestion still not a possibility as to cause?

I remember someone posting info about successfully using middle-man to "sanitize" AGPS request to supl.nokia.com, so it was working on N900. Not very convenient, still it work(ed) - I can't find reference, right now.

OTOh, I wonder what mugols from "do only evil" G company did to limit availability? What they use to identify non-google device, so supl.google.com drops connection, and how we can get around it easily?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
a-gps, nokia n900