Active Topics

Hi All,

I just google a night to allow my N9 use 5Ghz. That's the regulatory domain problem.

The solution was quite easy: just remove /usr/lib/crda/regulatory.bin file. Then my N9 is able to see all the channels available

I switched it to 5Ghz and after executing '/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power off' the awful delays (ping the device >100ms) gone, and I have ping 1ms, full speed, but probably less battery life, of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mt6561 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Philippines
Any explanation as to how removing the file affects 5GHz availability?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
isnt is locked for some countries because they have laws there prohibiting the use of wlan?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
install iw for harmattan with Debinstaller and you will have possibility to change regulatory domain.

iw reg get - shows current domain and allowed ranges
iw reg set DOMAIN - sets choosed domain

/etc/iw/domain.conf - contains domain which will be set after reboot (regulatory domain always set to default after phone shutdown)

enjoy

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I just installed the iw package as you suggested, but it says not found when I try to run it in console.

I see it's located in /usr/sbin/ and tried to run it from there as user and as root, still no success

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
iw reg get
iw reg set IT

it handy to have pull PATH line in /etc/profile, instead of default one
Code:
export PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11"

Last edited by coderus; 2013-08-04 at 11:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that worked!

It seems there is an even more easy solution for the 5Ghz problem. Some frequencies seem to be disabled, so I just choosed in my router a frequency that was allowed and tada, I can see my 5Ghz WLAN.

To show, just use:

iw list

and lookout for Frequencies:

sample output from my N9: http://pastie.org/8205109

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
I see it's located in /usr/sbin/ and tried to run it from there as user and as root, still no success
What do you mean by "no success" and what "by tried to run it from there". Please be more specific.

If ash says file not found and you have confirmed that /usr/sbin/iw exists, then I presume you are doing something wrong.

Let's verify it exists:
Code:
~ # which iw
/usr/sbin/iw
There's several ways to run executable files.
Either you use full path of the file:
Code:
~ # /usr/sbin/iw
...or you can use relative path, for example ( "./" means present working directory and "../" would mean one below it ):
Code:
~ # cd /usr/sbin
/usr/sbin # ./iw
...or if you have /usr/sbin in your current user's (root in this case) PATH variable,
Code:
~ # echo $PATH
/home/user/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
...then you can just:
Code:
~ # iw

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Were you doing this DOS/WIndoze thing where you _assumed_ that the current directory would be part of the search-path for executables/commands ?

In Unix/Linux, simply "cd"-ing to a directory containing a command and then typing the commandname won't work, unless you then actually type "./commandname".

Do you see what I mean ?

@LinuxClub just because of security reasons. But you can always add $PWD to PATH, and voila!