Posts: 78 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Washington State
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
Does wifi work with the original android image or other roms?
Yes, hardware is known good on both original Google OS and even Firefox OS. After install of this CM13 SFOS, Wifi is hosed.

But even more interesting, I've now reflashed (fastboot flash) boot/bootloader/radio/userdata/cache/system/recovery back to that same FxOS (the one which worked) and now its Wifi is hosed, too.

So what does that leave? My memory is there a /persist with stuff which survives all of this? Is there some content there which the install has stepped upon? I looked in there and wifi/.macaddr seems OK, is there some other files which SFOS has messed with?

The Following User Says Thank You to vandys For This Useful Post:
Kernel is 3.4, currently there is no newer kernel available and probably never will be due to the qualcomm drivers have never been updated for newer kenels for the Nexus5.
Thanks for the info.

I just stumbled upon this (not sure if of any use):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...ernel-t3077596 with github repo at https://github.com/Electrex/Electroactive-N5

and

https://github.com/95A31/android_kernel_msm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
@vandys
I don't know what you are doing. The CM13 is an nearly untouched Cyanogenmod 13 image. The only thing that is different, is that i removed a check before install to prevent errors on some configuration. So, if wifi doesn't work with this image, it is nothing Sailfish related.

@bomo

The android_kernel_msm which is based on 3.10 was never completed and doesn't even compile, work on it is deprecated. The Electroactive kernel just uses 3.10 as name for his kernel, so his next release could be 3.10 or 4.00 or whatever...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
A question just came up in my mind: do you use some earphones with buttons (volume ) recognized by Sailfish? I'm using the Apple ones but only the microphone works.

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=mautz;1538148]@vandys
I don't know what you are doing. The CM13 is an nearly untouched Cyanogenmod 13 image. The only thing that is different, is that i removed a check before install to prevent errors on some configuration. So, if wifi doesn't work with this image, it is nothing Sailfish related.

Honest, I just went into TWRP, cleared the partitions, install'ed the CM13 zip, then SFOS after it, then rebooted.

I think this is where things start going south:

<4>[ 1.799839] wifi_get_mac_addr
<3>[ 1.799911] bcm_wifi_get_mac_addr: Failed to get information from file /persist/wifi/.macaddr (-2)
<6>[ 1.799986] [bcm_wifi_get_mac_addr] Exiting. MAC 00:90:4C:51:3F:7F

I tried chmod'ing access in /persist and /persist/wifi and /persist/wifi/.macaddr, but same message. Is there some SElinux thing biting me here?

The downstream failure is:

<4>[ 15.400984] failed to power up wifi chip, retry again (4 left) **

and so forth.

Last edited by vandys; 2017-11-04 at 20:36.

Can you read the file /persist/wifi/.macaddr? Does wifi still work in Android?

Which partitions have you cleared?

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Can you read the file /persist/wifi/.macaddr? Does wifi still work in Android?

Which partitions have you cleared?
.macaddr, yes, 6 bytes. And when I adb shell on, I can use ip link to see that this address is not on the interface.

And no, whatever happened, affects across a total re-install.
I've cleared and re-written boot/bootloader/radio/cache/userdata/system/recovery. Android is broken by whatever happened during the SFOS install, even after SFOS/CM13 are completely replaced.

Which is why I'm focusing on /persist, it's the only thing I know of which hasn't been replaced in its entirety.

On XDA thee is a longer thread about this wifi problem on the Nexus5...maybe one of the "solutions" there could hellp you, for example: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=107

On XDA thee is a longer thread about this wifi problem on the Nexus5...maybe one of the "solutions" there could hellp you, for example: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=107
3.10 kernel for nexus 5 it does exist, and It does work, but not enough to use daily, for example it doesn't run off the battery and a bunch of other stuff doesn't work, and development stopped some time ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
@nh1402

I know about this kernel, but a phone without a battery isn't a good daily driver