they do need to find a way to crash the price, with the arrival of Moto G2 it is getting beyond ridiculous.

i, a person with disposable cash to burn, who bought and used the N900 and N9 for over four years, running linux in work and the home for the last 12 years, still cannot bring myself to buy it at £270.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Personally think they need to go all out Android at the same time as they're trying to push their own platform.*
The profit they make can (partly) go into their Jolla/Mer/Nemo/Sailfish work, but I guess that's for another thread.

*they may not have enough $ for that

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/15/g...id-one-phones/

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-15 at 16:36.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Personally think they need to go all out Android at the same time as they're trying to push their own platform.
I have no idea what are you talking about, how do you mean "go all out Android", what does Android have to do with SFOS except being one (of several possible) HW adaptation layers?

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
THIS i want with sailfish on it!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
THIS i want with sailfish on it!!
Bjuutifullll !!

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have no idea what are you talking about, how do you mean "go all out Android", what does Android have to do with SFOS except being one (of several possible) HW adaptation layers?
To clarify & to be brief (as this is prolly OT), I'm referring to releasing an Android device (or devices), i.e. broaden their product portfolio.
Overheads are far lower, & if done well margins are likely to be better, they can use some of that $ to put back into their own platform.
Ofc all of this assumes that they have enough $ to try such a move, they may only have enough to stick to 1 Jolla Phone per 12-24mth.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-16 at 16:12. Reason: clarification

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Anyone heard about jolla?

I think marc finally look like a man! So jolla ll will be man...ly.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2...events/3319835

Next slide please!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-16 at 15:47.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
To clarify & to be brief (as this is prolly OT), I'm referring to releasing an Android device (or devices), i.e. broaden their product portfolio.
Overheads are far lower, & if done well margins are likely to be better, they can use some of that $ to put back into their own platform.
Ofc all of this assumes that they have enough $ to try such a move, they may only have enough to stick to 1 Jolla Phone per 12-24mth.
I don't think that would BE very Wise, I mean who really wants another boring android device, seriously??
Besides that, the android devicescape is already dominated by numerous large companies that have staggering budget to build cheap&capable devices, why go there when you have superior OS?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Android is not a cash cow, except for Samsung and Microsoft.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I must say I have to disagree, I'd elaborate on why I think it might be a useful move, but that'd be digressing even further.
And more importantly, engaging in lengthy discussions in threads like this are proving to be way too much of a time-sink, very briefly:

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I don't think that would BE very Wise, I mean who really wants another boring android device, seriously??
We don't have the figures, but I reckon there's a good chance that some of the newest Android ODM's are already selling much better than the Jolla*, or will very soon.
I think there's way more people out there who want "another boring Android" than a device with Sailfish on it, & it has very little to do with Android being a vastly better OS.

Besides that, the android devicescape is already dominated by numerous large companies that have staggering budget to build cheap&capable devices, why go there when you have superior OS?
That isn't stopping many new players, some which I'm happy to wager will be around in x years, & biting large chunks out of the market-share of today's supposed "immovable titans".

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Android is not a cash cow, except for Samsung and Microsoft.
I didn't say that, anyone who got that impression from what I wrote may have misunderstood my point...

*or as well at the very least, but with better margins because total overheads are less

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-16 at 18:10.

Tags
jolla, jolla 2