Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Good idea. If only one could make a desktop link to it that would be perfect.
Can't you open it in the browser and add a bookmark to the desktop?

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Can't you open it in the browser and add a bookmark to the desktop?
Can and did, and returned here to share. You beat me to it. I may start a thread sharing this info, as amny won't get through this long thread.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
So a coworker of mine just got the Nexus One... man, it was nice. I couldn't leave my hardware keyboard for it quite yet (as nice as the on-screen keyboard was, I can't justify losing screen real-estate to type). However, I'm personally giving Nokia until the release of Nexus Two (or whatever the next version is that includes a hw keyboard) to fix the crippling bugs and update the onboard apps (maps, email, etc) to 2009/2010 standards before I jump ship.

And, no, I realize that Nokia couldn't give two shaits about me and my one sale. And, yes, I further realize that none of you care either. However, this is the internet... the land of public whining!

The Following User Says Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I'm interested.. What did you like about it?

}:^)~

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I'm interested.. What did you like about it?

Navigation with the voice feature is even more useful/polished than I noticed from the promo/youtube videos. I'd call it night & day between that an OVI maps, but even that would be a gross understatement.

The form factor is PERFECT. Granted there is no hardware keyboard, so it's going to be significantly smaller. But the screen seems to dominate the front. The bezels (or whatever they're called) on the n900 are noticeably large on the n900 next to it). Granted, there is no front camera, but right now it serves no purpose on my n900 either

I actually liked the trackball, too. I found myself using that almost as much as the screen (which was also VERY responsive being capacitive--Yes, i know there are resistive advantages, too, but the UI was so fast compared to the hildon-desktop).

I did realize how much I like the slide cover on the n900, though. And the dedicated camera button is also appreciated. I'm sure I'd eventually get frustrated by the lack of hardware buttons for particular tasks (read: emulators), but for general use, it looked great. That's why if they can improve on this with a hardware keyboard that doesn't fatten it up like a freshman living next door to a McDonald's, it's going to enter the "serious consideration" range.

Now, if we can get a nice navigation app (with turn-by-turn, of course) and make the UI feel that fast (Maemo 6 better be ported, as i LOVE Qt in general)... then I will be reswooning over my n900 i'm sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Thanks for your impressions.

I'm leaning towards the N1 myself, but I hear that the N900 really grows on you after serious use. I must admit, that the app market, the polished GPS app, capacitive touch, frequently updated OS, and form factor increase its value in my eyes significantly enough to consider it over the N900, but I want to wait to read more impressions before I make any final decisions.

I've read some sore reviews as to the reception, which is a bit of a downer. I also don't like the fact that sipdroid (an open sip client), doesn't support the u-law codec! This is a very specific quibble, but almost essential for VoIP (low bandwidth, supported everywhere). Luckily, an individual recently submitted a patch for support, so with any luck it'll be included in the next release.

I really, really like the android mantra of 'quick to market'. It's shown in the past years multiple OS updates, and is exciting to think of where things are to go from here. I suspect that the experience and capabilities will continue to improve and maintain competitiveness even beyond the intended life-cycle of the hardware.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
yeah, and no real keyboard...deal breaker for me any day!
I thought I could not live without a physical keyboard until I tried swype.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains

I'm leaning towards the N1 myself...

I've read some sore reviews as to the reception, which is a bit of a downer. I also don't like the fact that sipdroid (an open sip client), doesn't support the u-law codec! This is a very specific quibble, but almost essential for VoIP (low bandwidth, supported everywhere). Luckily, an individual recently submitted a patch for support, so with any luck it'll be included in the next release.

I doubt you will be happy with the Nexus One for VoIP.
See my experiences here:
http://davestechshop.net/blog/how-to...s#comment-3237

The Droid is worth a look.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nobrandname View Post
Anyone trying to compare Nexus vs N900, let me give you a piece of advice. I have in past used many HTC phones which also made the google phone, my last one was Diamond 2. The moment you take your sim out of a HTC and put it in the N900, you can tell the call quality difference.
Similar experience here. Also comparing Droid. Nexus One is the worst in terms of VoIP call quality, sound quality, connection strength, etc.

I really, really like the android mantra of 'quick to market'. It's shown in the past years multiple OS updates, and is exciting to think of where things are to go from here. I suspect that the experience and capabilities will continue to improve and maintain competitiveness even beyond the intended life-cycle of the hardware.

The n900 has definitely got great potential for sure. Freedom + great hardware will provide plenty of opportunity in the future. I, like you, love the frequent OS feature updates of Android. So if Nokia can put some quick, useful, and interesting updates out, I'll be happy to stay with it. That's why I'm also hoping to eventually have some OS flexibility with Android AND Maemo dual booting on the n900. I can give both OS's a fair shot and maybe the best (read: the best for ME, not everyone) one win!