Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
I assume that also your FM-Transmitter will not work. You can circumvent this by installing "fmtx-faker", although I recognized that with that you can only enable the FM-Transmitter thrugh the controlpanel, not through media-player.

Actually it would be interesting if the cellular module could also be tricked to work with GSM, in spite of the wrong prductcode, like fmtxfaker does with the fm-transmitter.

I would be willing to test things on my device to find this out, but sadly I have no clue where to start....

Anyone?

[edit: got the name wrong, missed "-" in fmtx-faker]

Last edited by MrWeasel; 2010-03-24 at 20:32.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by MrWeasel View Post
I assume that also your FM-Transmitter will not work. You can circumvent this by installing "fmtxfaker", although I recognized that with that you can only enable the FM-Transmitter thrugh the controlpanel, not through media-player.
Use this version, instead.

Though FMTX Faker only helps if Nokia stopped it from being activated via software (you recieve the "FM Transmitter Disabled" message).

I guess the trick used by FMTX Faker could be be applied to other things handled by sysinfod, but the FMTX thing is as far as I'll go (run "sysinfo-tool -l" and you'll probably realise upon looking at some of the entries why I do not wish for it to be used for anything else). Not to mention that FMTX Faker can be easily rendered useless by Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Interestingly under /device/product-code it shows the product code that would be the correct one NOT actual (wrong) swap code that I have in my device. Hm.

Could the cellular-chip technically be reading the product-code directly without any software involved?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by MrWeasel View Post
I assume that also your FM-Transmitter will not work. You can circumvent this by installing "fmtx-faker", although I recognized that with that you can only enable the FM-Transmitter thrugh the controlpanel, not through media-player.
[edit: got the name wrong, missed "-" in fmtx-faker]
Indeed, it didn't work. After i calmed down and installed the fmtx-faker it works again.

Wouldn't it be for this excellent community and forum, i had long sold my N900

Cheers

I have exactly the same proble as thread starter. I had N95, then bought N900, USB failed so they replaced my phone with a NEW one that doesn't work to switch network modes (3G/GSM/DUAL)

But i didn't really understand the solution, should i bring the phone to Nokia Care office to fix it, or they would need to send it back to Nokia and i would get it back in like 2 another months??

Technically it seems that until somebody has found a better solution for now you (or your nearest Nokia Care Point) need to send it in to Nokia directly.

Actually my Nokia Care Point offered me to order a replacement phone and do a "hot swap" when it arrives.

The replacement phone arrived just today, so surprisingly it took only 8 days. I spent about 5 minutes in the Store. Swapped my battery and backcover (they do not replace those) to the new phone and was ready to go.

As for now the issue seems resolved, the new phone works as expected

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ New Zealand
Same problem for me. No GSM working. It was working fine for 5 months then yesterday decided it would only work with 3G. If I try and use GSM the phone shuts down after displaying no simcard. Wonderful.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
any solution for the problem? cant switch to gsm/2g mode
cheers

Yes has anyone been able to fix this? Mine has gone back to the shop I got it from and they are sending it to some technicians, not nokia care I don't think. Probably in about a week I will have an answer regarding my phone and what the issue was. I tried everything though and could not get GSM mode to work again

For what its worth when in dual mode and it switched from 3G to GSM it would drop the call, show the no simcard symbol and then slowly the screen would fade and it would die. Only way to get it to reboot was remove the battery. Makes me think it is something wrong with the phone and not the software.