I bought a cheap N810 in the USA, because in The Netherlands it's very expensive.
I can do everything with it, exept the GPS. When i switch the GPS on and use it with maemo mapper It takes an hour or longer to connect with the satelites.
Is there a way to select preferred satelites?
Thanks,
Michael.

a. make sure you start with the built in map program (unless you are z linux guru and have modified some files) then start mm
b. it appears (and a search nof the forum that howthe n810 is held makes a difference (w/the n810 logo up) you shnould receive a lock if ylu are outside in 2-5 minutes (for a 'cold' start).
c. make sure thd firmware is the latest and if necessary _flash upgrade
d. no way i am aware of selecting satellites

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by mike023 View Post
When i switch the GPS on and use it with maemo mapper It takes an hour or longer to connect with the satelites.
That seems about right. If you stand perfectly still, with your fingertips barely holding on to the N810, the screen up, and pointing the top of the unit toward the nearest satellite with a clear view, you can get connection times as quick as 10-15 minutes, though.

Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
That seems about right. If you stand perfectly still, with your fingertips barely holding on to the N810, the screen up, and pointing the top of the unit toward the nearest satellite with a clear view, you can get connection times as quick as 10-15 minutes, though.
it is not quite that bad

It seems to vary a great deal from person to person, some people say it works in minutes while for others it takes tens of minutes.

But as with any GPS unit, do NOT try to get a fix while still indoors. Go outside before you try to get a satellite fix.

However, it has to be said that the N810's GPS unit is not very good. I did a comparison with some of Nokia's GPS-equipped smartphones (including the similarly-sized E90) and they were much much much faster at getting a fix (and it wasn't assisted GPS by the way).

My god this gps lock is bad!

I actually thought the thing was broken!
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww