Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
The Register has weighed in on the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet.

Best part:
Wi-Fi is certainly the preferred connection mechanism for the device, which will happily connect to a network, download RSS feeds and email, and disconnect, all without the user being aware. Indeed, whilst wandering around London with the N800 in my pocket it had been downloading up-to-date information without my knowledge. In a mobile phone such behaviour would be annoying, as it would probably incur network charges, but on a Wi-Fi tablet it was pleasant to have this information close to hand when I wanted it, without having to think about when to connect or where.
Can't say that I agree with reviewer Bill Ray's opinions or conclusions. Wrapup line: "The Nokia N800 is a fun toy that could possibly be the future of mobile telephony. Or perhaps not." Gotta Have It score: 75%.
Read the full article.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The comments attached to that review make for more interesting reading - it's a pretty poor review on the whole.

Does the 800 actually seek out open wifi connections, connect, and download feeds and email, or is the reviewer not understanding something?

I don't think it seeks and open connection unless asked to; or if the connection is already "remembered" from prior use.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It would need to be pre-configured to connect to secure connections, and I suppose the possibility exists that it may connect to random open connections automatically. Just another reason why we need a 770 case on function to put the N800 to sleep (including wireless) when we put it in our pockets!

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post: