Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I've done a quick search through the forums, which means I have probably missed the answer , however I am trying to tether my N810 to a Blackberry Curve 8310 on AT&T's service.

The N810 is running OS2008-43.7.

The Blackberry is runnning v4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30). Bluetooth options shows services as:

headset
handsfree
dial-up networking
audio source
a/v remote control target

AT&T is absolutely no help, falling back on the "we don't support Linux..." story. But I won't go there...

I have tried various combinations of options, but here is what I have currently:

Code:
Connection name: AT&T Internet
Connection type: GPRS

Access point name: isp.cingular
Dial-up number: *99***1#

Supplementary AT commands: AT_cgdcont-1,"IP","isp.cingular.com"
I get the blue light flashing (slowly) when I attempt to connect, and the N810 comes back with "Connection failed"

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
--vr

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ NJ USA
I will tell you what works for me, though there are the following differences, so YMMV.
--I'm on Tmobile, not AT&T
--I'm on an N800 with Chinook

First, your phone does showup in the control panel as a bluetooth phone, right? Control Panel -- Bluetooth -- Devices -- Edit -- Device Type Phone

Then, you should add .com to the cingular access point name when defining the Connection setup. My Tmobile access point name is wap.voicestream.com

Next, maybe, but probably not important, you have *99#1 -- that uses the first profile built into your phone. I don't have multiple profiles, so I only entered *99# into "Dial-up number".

Allen

i am currently tethered to a blackberry curve without the need of additional codes.
my set up:
at&t blackberry curve
nokia N810

first be sure the bluetooth is enabled and both devices recognize eachother (obviously)
then in your connection settings add a connection.
choose packet data call and choose gsm (for att)
now in the next page set up the connection apn and password.
apn=blackberry.net
user name=wap.cingulargprs.com
password=CINGULAR1
i didnt change the *99#

after clicking next i clicked advanced>other tab>and unchecked use ppp compression

now your done, just make sure your N810 phone settings in the control panel have the blackberry as a phone devide and you should be set.

I think AT&T has changed their log in procedure in the past year (if not in the past couple of weeks), so the default values in the OS phone setup wizard don't work. I've got a BB Pearl, but I doubt these instruction would be any different.

octo8saktulos's method use to work for me a couple of months ago, but does not seem to work for me any longer. The latest time I've got a working connection I used the following:

I set up my phone using the phone wizard as normal. I then go to the connectivity in control panel, select connections, then edit the phone that just got added. I use the AT&T wizard settings, but change the username and passwork to blank; change the isp access point name to "isp.cingular" (no quotes) & the AT commands (under the small advanced button) to "AT+CDGCONT=1,"IP","isp.cingular"" (no end quotes). Keep/Change the phone number to *99***1#.

VulcanRidr - I think your setup is pretty close, but the AT commands are a bit off from mine. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

I pulled this off of AT&T Support site concerning setting up a XP computer to use DUN for a Bluetooth Device. Seems to work, but every time I flash (I've done this a couple times in the past 2 months), I have to jump through different hoops to get it to work. This is what worked on my last reflash.

Good luck.

Last edited by urnass; 2009-02-22 at 02:23.

I tried both of your methods, octo8saktulos and urnass...Neither worked, however, octo8saktulos seemed to take longer to fail. Not sure why...

I will admit that I did not have time to play with it for very long, so I will take a closer look.

Thanks for both of your suggestions.

--vr

I'm using my N810 with on AT&T with a Samsung Eternity so I'm not sure if the settings will be the same. I'll post mine just in case it may help.

In the N810..

Connection type:GPRS
Access Point name: wap.cingular
Dialup number: *99**1*1#
User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:cingular1

Under Advanced/Other.
Allow plain text login: is checked
Use PPP compression and Supplementary AT commands are not checked off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlobianco For This Useful Post:
Somewhat related, I found that tethering my Sprint BB Curve (4.5.X) with my N810 was trivial (the new OS helps I think). The speeds for browsing are phenomenal and I'm really looking forward to pairing the N810 with a rev A BB once they're available.

-CM

VulcanRidr - Try cold booting your BB - turn off & pull out battery for a minute or so, re-install battery & turn back on (if it hasn't done so automatically). It takes about 5 minutes to re-boot, but I've found it can help. Make sure your battery is charged. They try mine or octo8saktulos method again. AT&T service is funny, as they still want you to turn your phone off weekly to get certain updates - maybe one of those updates is causing your problem.

Originally Posted by code_monkey View Post
Somewhat related, I found that tethering my Sprint BB Curve (4.5.X) with my N810 was trivial (the new OS helps I think). The speeds for browsing are phenomenal and I'm really looking forward to pairing the N810 with a rev A BB once they're available.

-CM
Hmmm. My curve is running 4.2. I think I will upgrade it as soon as I go back to work (The only windows desktop I have here is a virtualbox vm on my laptop), and the usb connectivity is a little dicey.

Originally Posted by urnass View Post
VulcanRidr - Try cold booting your BB - turn off & pull out battery for a minute or so, re-install battery & turn back on (if it hasn't done so automatically). It takes about 5 minutes to re-boot, but I've found it can help. Make sure your battery is charged. They try mine or octo8saktulos method again. AT&T service is funny, as they still want you to turn your phone off weekly to get certain updates - maybe one of those updates is causing your problem.
I cold booted and again tried your method, octo8saktulos, and a combined method...still failing. As I said in my last post, I will try upgrading the OS on the phone and see where it goes from there...

--vr